Sunday, April 7, 2019

AmazonBasics High-Back Executive Swivel Chair - Black with Pewter Finish

AmazonBasics High-Back Executive Swivel Chair - Black with Pewter Finish

AmazonBasics High-Back Executive Swivel Chair - Black with Pewter Finish

For starters, installation took about 10 minutes without bumping into any problems. And, so far, I've had this chair for 4 months now and there is nothing bad to say about it. I am 6' 1" and 195 lb and I work at home and spend about 8 to 10 hours daily sitting on this chair. So far, it has provided continuous comfort for my back and my productivity has increased since switching to this chair.

Update: After 8 months of daily use, the cushioning still feels like new!

I've had this chair now for about two months, it's gotten regular use and I feel that I'm qualified to review it. I needed to replace my 10+ year old chair that was falling apart and desired a high back chair for the comfort. I really wanted to save some money on the purchase, so this AmazonBasics unit caught my eye for the price. I figured it was worth a shot, I could always sell it if things didn't work out.

Assembly was easy, I didn't really have any issues to speak of. The instructions were reasonably clear, diagrams easy to follow and everything fit with minimal fuss. Construction of the unit was impressive for the price, I don't really see the chair failing over the course of many years of use. The controls work as expected, allowing fair basic modification to the fit. It doesn't have all the adjustments that high end ergonomic chairs feature, but it works well enough to get it comfortable to sit in.

Now, for the most important aspect of the chair...comfort! To be honest, it's only OK. It's not bad by any means and extended use is really just fine, but I'm not exactly writing letters home about how comfortable the chair is. I find the chair marginally fatiguing after several hours of use, but it's gotten better as I've broken the chair's padding in. Sometimes I've noticed clear signs of ergonomic issues in my legs, like them falling asleep, and I know I need to get up and move around. Again, I wouldn't say the fit is terrible...just not an experience that could allow you to sit all day without a single break. My previous chair was more comfortable, but I'd also admit that I paid over twice the amount for it.

Overall, I wouldn't not recommend this chair. There are better quality chairs out there, but they will also carry high end price tags along with them. For the price, I'm happy...and to me, it's a good thing to be reminded that you need to get up every once in awhile. I offer up 4 stars...big value for the price, decent comfort and a good quality product.

Quick to install, heavy, well constructed and fairly comfortable.

BOX: Huge box and heavy. Your garbage man will want a tip to take this away.

Weight: Heavy, almost 70 lbs in the box.

Butt Surface: I am 5'10" tall and 210 lbs. and fit okay. If you are over 250 lbs, this is probably not ideal for you. If you are anything less than me, and I am what they consider a "husky" guy, then you will be fine.

Backrest: Maybe my only complaint is that the backrest requires a bit of actual leaning. It does not go back all the way without some real resistance. You sort of need to push yourself back, even nearly a year later, the springs are taught and it remains upright and strong. If you are the kind of person who likes an easily leaned back couch for a chair, this is probably not for you. The overall lean angle is about 40 degrees. It does not go further, probably for safety reasons. I have had chairs that went closer to 60-70 degrees in the past.

Time to Construct: It only took me 20 minutes, and I am no carpenter, to put this chair together. Power screwdriver and literally 10 minutes this thing was done. I had reversed the arms by accident, and you will see why, so that is what took the additional time.

Finish: The side cover pieces continually pop off so I decided to trash them. They are plastic circular covers designed to cover the screws and unless you super glue them on, forget it. Granted, I should have done that, but I was just mad they kept falling off. I kept two on, two went into the dumpster.

Comfort: Surprisingly comfortable, well made and many compliments on the leather surface. I use this chair 6-8 hours daily, 5x week, even weekends, and I have zero complaints on comfort. Considering I had neck surgery to replace a disc, that is a compliment to ANY chair. Adjustments are easy to reach, locking and unlocking vertical is easy and the back provides enough resistance so you do not topple over.

Tilting: I am unsure why some reviewers say this chair tilts. I have had no such issues. If you have a tilting chair, return it, do not use it. If it does not sit level or what you feel it level, over time it can actually throw your balance off while seated. Again, ZERO TILTING on my chair. For those complaining about the box being damaged, and it is a very heavy box so I would have just sent it back and never opened it - probably got damaged - thus the tilting. Enough on tilting.

Casters: Moves okay over carpet. I would recommend a 36" plastic floor saver or carpet saver as it does not move super easy. I did that and $29 later, I can move around without issue.

Noise: I hate noisy leather chairs that crinkle or sound like someone "farkled" every second. This chair is taught, well made, nicely stitched and makes virtually no needless sounds.

For the dough, a 10 out of 10.

Pros:
The assembly is straightforward and doesn't require much strength; I would expect my mother to have no issue putting this chair together. If you're elderly or disabled, a relative or helper should have an easy and quick time of putting it together, and there is very little chance of making a mistake during assembly.
Sturdy at and slightly above the recommended weight limit. I peaked around 256 or 258lbs while using this chair, and it didn't show any signs of complaint then, and it hasn't shown signs of wear since.
Really comfortable. I'm an eight-hours-a-day user, almost without exception, and I have no complaints.
The leather holds up very well. I don't expect this to be true forever, but after approximately 1800 hours of use, there is no tear or warning sign.
It leans back super stably. That's the most important aspect for me.
It's tall enough to support my 6'6" frame. My back rests comfortably, so the odds are yours will fit, too. For the scary few who tower over me, and so you can search it easily, here's a height guide:
6'3" 6'4" 6'5" - The chair is good for your heights
6'7" - You should also be well served, unless your height is mostly in your torso.
6'8" - You're at the cusp. I think you will be comfortable in this chair, and alternatives that are built for our (mostly your) height cost so much more. I'd give it a try. I wish you luck.
6'9" 6'10" 6'11" - This is written for 6'9. For 6'10, 6'11, scale the significance of the caution. I think this chair will prove uncomfortable for you or encourage bad posture. I'd encourage you to look elsewhere.

Cons:
This is well covered in other reviews: the caps that cover up the screws on the side of the arms are poorly designed. One falls off every day or two. It's a minor inconvenience, but it's optional. You can toss the caps in the trash. The screws are not exposed. They sit deep within the plastic of the arm. Personally, I just push the covers back on when I notice they fell.
The armrests could be better for me, I think. I'm not sure exactly what my complaint is. I think they are a little too narrow for my liking, but I'm 6'6" with broad shoulders and long arms and unusual joints. The spacing seems fine for a typical user.

Notes:
I only sit leaning the chair back or sitting up straight at the edge of my seat. Some aspects of this review may not translate perfectly to locked-in-place, sitting back, upright usage.

Wow!!! I see why this chair got so many 5 star reviews! It's worth every penny. I work at a public high school so there's not a ton if money for new furniture; all the chairs have to be 15+ years old, so I decided to buy my own chair.

I know it's probably not a priority to people but if you're at a desk 7+ hours a day, do yourself a favor. This was one of the best purchases I've made.

Amazing quality, easy installation, so comfortable. I looooove it!


Get it Now

Feature Product

  • Comfortable executive chair upholstered in bonded black leather and PVC
  • Padded seat and back for all-day comfort and support
  • Pneumatic seat-height adjustment; 360-degree swivel; smooth-rolling casters
  • Measures 29.13 by 25.59 by 41.34 to 45.08 inches (LxWxH); 1-year limited warranty. Assembly instructions included.
  • Maximum weight capacity - 275 pounds.

Description

An Amazon Brand.



This is a basic office chair. There are dozens of options of similar chairs at this price point--Amazon's version isn't any better, or any worse, than others I've tried from big box stores.

The padding is comfortable if a bit stiff. It *is* comfortable after a fashion, but that's subjective. I'd rather have a chair that's a tab bit too stiff at unpackaging hoping that it'll help save cushioning in the future if that makes sense. The worst part about these inexpensive chairs is that the cushioning usually flatten out long before the other parts of the chair give way.

I don't have much faith in the faux-leather bonded to whatever material is beneath it. I am quite certain that it'll begin to peel after months of use. But, since I cannot yet say for certain, I'll give Amazon the benefit of the doubt for the minute. It simply feels like very cheap pleather--like, if there was a spectrum of best of worst pleather, Amazon's version would be towards the bottom.

Assembly was not painful at all. If you've put together those wooden and plastic toys as a child, then this chair will be no problem. It comes in three major parts--the base where the wheels are, the hydraulic lift thingie, and then the seat bottom/back/arms. Snap the wheels into base. Screw in metal thingie that goes underneath seat then plop that down onto the base. As for the seat & back & arms--just align holes and use the provided screws & allen wrench. That's it. The hardest part was holding different parts together while I tried to align openings for the screws. Do yourself a solid and have a helper ready. It'll save you time. I started during halftime of Monday Night Football and was seated at my desk by the start of the third quarter.

But these are all first impressions so take them for what they're worth. I've had the chair a day or so. Only time will tell if this chair is durable which is actually the type of change-over-time review that is perhaps most useful to folks looking for an office chair. In that spirit, I'll do my best to update this review periodically over the life of the chair to give a more accurate picture of this particular chair's value.

I am a writer (novelist) & I am also starting up a YouTube studio (meaning lots of video editing). Having a quality chair, which is where I'll be spending a vast majority of my time, is important!

Lets break it down:

Shipping: I use Prime, so shipping took two business days. It’s worth it!

Packaging: Item came in the typical Amazon box. Inside there was some paper to fill the extra space so the items wouldn’t slide around. Everything was packaged neatly in their own bags, nothing was left in space just flying around. Organized and concise.

Accuracy/Design/Quality: Item appears to be just as described on Amazon page. As long as you are not a careless consumer, I predict this chair will last a long time. It's thick and firm plastic materials, nice coverings, and wonderful back support (if you're sitting in it like one should for chairs, haha). The arm rests are high enough to rest my elbows on to support my typing. the wheel base is supportive and bigger than most, which if you're sliding around, means less chance of toppling over. Great!

Price: While I obtained these items at a discounted price, I still would buy them at the original price if I was in need.

Tldr; I might just buy another one, because it's great!

Since I just received the chair my review will have to be my first impressions. The chair assembly was very simple with all hardware and screws included. Nothing was damaged and packaged very well. Following the directions was straight forward leaving no questions. It may have taken 20 minutes unboxing, unwrapping, and assembly.
After reading many reviews I knew what I was buying. The point I would like to make is that most high back chairs are not really made for up close desk work such as typing or writing or computer keyboard work. Although they may suffice an ergonomic body position with support in a more upright position requires more of a shorter backed, mid-back support for long hours in a straight up position in my opinion. I personally feel that the higher back chairs are more suited for leaned back support such as talking on the phone or mellowed out with feet on desk. That's more my style and I find this chair very comfortable both in seat cushion comfort and back cushion support. At only 5' 7" it also offers me ideal head support with room to spare. If and when I use this chair for close up straight back work I tested the push in lock with the lever and tightening the front tension adjustment to max tightness which makes a fairly solid support in that position.
As far as longevity and how the chair holds up over time will be something to find out in the future. I am not ruff on my chairs so I'm optimistic looking at it's construction and hope it will last for a while. Some of the reviews talking about the cracking and peeling of the bonded leather on the arm rests is not a great thing to read. Bonded leather makes it's appearance in a lot of furniture on the lower price scale. For a sofa it might mean $250 instead of $2500 for true leather. So price is key to choosing a better quality or living with a less durable material at a huge savings. If you research taking care of bonded leather it pretty much is in line with taking care of top leather. I feel that it is even more important right from the start to apply a leather conditioner. This penetrates and keeps those salty skin oils from drying it out and keeping it from deteriorating. A good conditioner has and replaces a lot of the supplements from the original tanning/preserving process. Anyway for me having dealt with bonded leather before I used my Lexol conditioner within minutes after assembly.
On my job we get 10 new chairs every 6 months or so most costing from $800 to $1800 each. They are used around the clock 24-7 by 40 employees and abused heavily. I don't think this chair would take that kind of abuse very long either but having sat in lots of office style chairs of all kinds through the years this one from an initial comfort assessment has to rate with the top tier at least initially by my first impression. I'm impressed for the price point verses comfort and if the chair lasts as long as I hope for personal use I think it is the bargain of the century. We'll see.

I'd recommend going to a store and trying out chairs if you REALLY care about your chair. Wading through the sea of reviews for a few chairs and a sparse number of reviews for most of the chairs on Amazon was very tiresome. I was too lazy to go searching in person so I finally took a chance on this chair.

First, I have to say it was extremely easy to setup. Amazon instructions were clear and it came with a tool to get rolling (pun intended) immediately. I know this was a complaint on many reviews for several chairs I saw. I would definitely give it 5 stars in that category.

Second, it is a serviceable chair. It is comfortable. It is a nice size for my desk and I like the brown color and was thankful they had that option along with the black.

Being a "basic" chair, the only thing I note out of the gate that I need is lumbar support. There's none. If you're going to work in this chair all day, you'll need to add something. I ordered a highly rated lumber add-on today once I realized it was not going to work "out of the box."

Aside from that, I'm pleased with my initial purchase and only time will tell if the cushion and the mechanics of the chair hold up. I did spring for the 3 year warranty add-on for $13 just in case.

But for a $100 chair and the ability to end my searching in the sea of options, I'm very satisfied today.

UPDATE: About 15 months in, I'm still happy with this purchase. I definitely needed the lumbar support add-on but with that, the chair has held up nicely and I can comfortably sit in it for long periods of time. This comes from someone who works from home 80% of the week these days.

These aren't the most comfortable office chairs, but for the price, the quality and build seem right on point. There is little to no lumbar support, and the cushioning is pretty stiff.

The leatherette seems fine, but will probably show wear pretty soon.

These chairs are great if you are looking for something cheap, basic, and reliable.

This isn't for you if you are looking for your everyday 9-5 desk chair.

Get it Now

0 comments:

Post a Comment