Friday, April 26, 2019

Philips Sonicare ProtectiveClean 4100 Plaque Control, Rechargeable electric toothbrush with pressure sensor, White Mint HX6817/01, 1 Count

Philips Sonicare ProtectiveClean 4100 Plaque Control, Rechargeable electric toothbrush with pressure sensor, White Mint HX6817/01, 1 Count

Philips Sonicare ProtectiveClean 4100 Plaque Control, Rechargeable electric toothbrush with pressure sensor, White Mint HX6817/01, 1 Count

I've only used this product once and I'm already prepared to give it a 5 star rating. I've been using a cheap ~$10 oral-B electric toothbrush from Walmart for a few years now and decided to upgrade. This sonicare toothbrush is an insane difference. I turned off the easy start so that I could get the full effect and I'm thoutoughly impressed. It will vibrate your entire face it is so strong. The 2 minute timer is too short for me but I just run through the cycle twice, not worth taking a star off as this is personal preference and does not cause any trouble to use for more than one cycle. For $40 and a 2.5 year warranty I'm positive I will be happy in the long run. If it dies in 2.6 years (just after the warranty) I will feel like it was worth the money. If it stays alive that's even better. Great product. Go with this one since it has the lithium battery and the same power as the diamond toothbrush without unnecessary features.

My dentist recommended I get an electric toothbrush because I scrub too hard. [Aside: that may have something to do with my mom being an orthodontic assistant and saying things like, "If you're gums don't bleed, you're not brushing hard enough."] Either way, I picked a midrange brush with a pressure sensor and a quandrant time.

First of all, my teeth have never felt this clean at home! Only after a dental appointment with all the gritty bits and water pistol rinsing and anxiety and mess. It's amazing! I even didn't brush this morning to see how long the feeling would last, and it's almost noon and still... smooth and clean!

I read through the manual (don't roll your eyes - I was looking for how the pressure sensor worked!) and it mentioned this toothbrush has an EasyStart mode that slowly increases the performance of the brush over the first 14 uses to get you accustomed to brushing.

So I'm thinking, "I'm a 30-something who's been brushing since I could stand. How seriously different can this be?"

I placed the brush against my back teeth like the manual recommended and then turned it on - WOW. I have never had a whole-head sensation like that before! It tickled and buzzed so hard, I started laughing and couldn't stop for the entire two minute brush timer. I missed three of the four "move to a new quadrant" beeps because every time I rearranged the brush, the tingling changed and sent me off into gales of laughter again. It wasn't just LOLing, y'all. My eye makeup was ruined, and I dribbled toothpaste all over the sink. My lazy little dog even came in to check on me. I had a full ab workout in two minutes.

I understand why they try to get you accustomed to it - this is quite the experience. I'm actually kinda looking forward to brushing my teeth again tonight.

Update 8/23/18 - Reconnected with Sonicare customer service who ultimately agreed to exchange for a new unit at no add’l cost to me, including all shipping. Have had it for a week and it seems to work as it should, the way we are accustomed to. Appreciate Phillips standing behind their product. I upgraded score from 1 star to 4 stars.

Initial Review: We were disappointed with this unit. My wife and I have used Sonicares for almost 20 years, routinely buying mid-upper level models. When our most recent unit began to fail holding charges and started getting noisier in use, we decided to replace it with this less expensive model because we did not use the variable speeds and other amenities provided on the higher cost units. Carefully reviewing the full power/intensity description of this model in comparison to others, we found it was supposed to be equivalent.

From day one this unit was noisier in use than the others we have owned and it was noticeably weaker in power/intensity. Since we are accustomed to full power I thought during set up I had bypassed the new user break-in cycling that starts with low intensity and incrementally increases over a week or so.

I called Sonicare customer service who was courteous. We walked through their troubleshooting checklist that included bypassing the new user ramp up to full intensity. As I said above I thought I had set it up for full intensity but I had to admit to the CSR that the intensity seemed to improve/increase when we reset the bypass again and I tried it in my mouth for 10-15 seconds while he waited on the phone.

By the end of the next day the power/intensity went back to being 30-40% lower than we are used to with other Sonicares. Since this, and most models now use Lithium batteries I keep it on the charger when not in use. I also tried resetting the intensity adjustment multiple times over a couple weeks, and sometimes it almost seems like the strength increases slightly for 1/2 day. It never equalling our previous units. In general, the intensity strength of this unit Is so low that when you try to do the anterior surface of your side teeth/molars, the bristle vibration seems to almost stop.

Perhaps our unit is a fluke. Given the one year warranty, I will soon recontact their customer service to ask if we can exchange this one for another of the same model.

I’ve always been a big fan of Sonicare toothbrushes, my dental cleanings went from you’ve got to do better to you’re doing a great job. My last Sonicare was an Elite model with all of the features, it’s demise came from a loose brush head shaft that wouldn’t stay tightened even after repair, that’s what also what killed the one before that so the verdict is out on how this one will hold up in that regard but they usually last a couple of years before giving out. I found that I never used any of the settings on the Elite except for basic clean with full power. In the past if you wanted a basic no-frills Sonicare with one button you have to forgo the slim handle design and lithium ion battery, two features I never wanted to get up so I would always spring for the more expensive model. Enter this Protectiveclean 4100 Sonicare, a basic one button, one speed no-frills machine that has all the features that I want and nothing that I don’t with the same slim handle and battery as the higher end models in this line. It even borrowed some of the features from the top of the Sonicare line like a brush head pressure sensor to remind you of proper brushing technique and a smart head brush replacement reminder that I hope doesn’t tell me to replace it before I want to but we’ll see (you can turn the feature off). The area around the metal brush head shaft (between the motor handle and brush head) has been flattened out and the little plastic cap that used to sit on the bottom of the shaft is gone making the area easier to clean, if you have a Sonicare you’ll know what I mean. The sonic action of this toothbrush seems more refined than my old Elite model but perhaps that’s due to wear and tear on the old one, anyway this brush works quite well and I’m happy.

I've used Sonicare brushes for 10 years, and this one is the best of the lot for a budget price. You can pay 4 times as much and get the bells and whistles, but if your main aim is to clean your teeth, this brush does it well. It has a brisk action (which can be started out at a lower intensity for newcomers), a two minute timer with a quad pacer that beeps every 30 seconds, a "smart brush" detection system that alerts you when the brush head needs to be replaced, and an alert when you're pressing too hard with the brush head. If you want your teeth clean and don't need whitening mode, bluetooth, and a lot of other luxury features, this brush will do the job.

NOTE: When you buy replacement brush heads (this unit comes with only one), buy Phillips brush heads. Do NOT purchase the economy ones. They are poor quality, wear our quickly, and can actually damage your teeth and/or gums. Always buy the Phillips brand.


Get it Now

Feature Product

  • Removes up to 7x more plaque vs. a manual toothbrush
  • Pressure sensor protects teeth and gums from excess brushing pressure
  • Always know when to replace your brush head for an effective clean with BrushSync replacement reminder
  • Quadpacer and Smart timer helps ensure dental professional recommended 2 minute brushing time and encourages brushing in each quadrant of the mouth
  • Battery charge indicator light let's you know when to recharge; 2 week battery life
  • Speed: Up to 62000 brush movement/min

Description

Your Sonicare brush head and handle are the ultimate team. The Protective Clean 4100 is a gentle power toothbrush with a pressure sensor that protects teeth and gums from excess brushing pressure. The Snap-On Optimal Plaque Control brush head features densely-packed high-quality bristles that gives you extra gentle brushing removing up to 7x more plaque vs. a manual power toothbrush. Brush heads wear out over time. Our Brush Sync technology tracks how long you have been using your brush head and how hard you have been brushing. It will beep to inform you when to replace your brush head. The easy-start feature slowly increases the power of the brush as you get used to the Sonicare experience and the smartimer encourages a full 2 minutes brushing time as recommended by your dental professional. The battery charge indicator light lets you know when it is time recharge; 2 week battery life. The kit includes 1 Philips Sonicare Protective Clean 4100 electric toothbrush, 1 Optimal Plaque Control brush head and 1 charger.



I purchased the 4100 as my 9-year old Sonicare Essence 5300 battery was nearing its end. The main two reasons that I acquired the 4100 was that it had a pressure sensor and, that being a Sonicare, I would have numerous generic brush head choices of equivalent quality and at much lower prices than those offered by Sonicare. I use "Great Value Tech (8 Pack) Sensitive Standard for Philips Sonicare sonic toothbrush heads HX6054/07"

The sensor in the included Sonicare brush head lights up the "Replace Brush Head" handle LED when needed, but marking a 3-month reminder on a calendar is equally effective. If a non-sensor Sonicare or generic head is used, the handle LED will remain unlit.

For those who are too aggressive with brushing (receding gums) the 4100 has a somewhat unique feature that alerts when too much pressure is applied. This feature is built into the handle and is not connected or associated with the brush head sensor in any way. This feature can be directly observed by taking the brush head off and applying light pressure to the handle's metal insertion stem while the handle is switched on. There will be a noticeable change in tone and vibration.

I use the 4100 twice a day with a 2-minute interval. After being fully charged the handle's battery LED was green/flashing green for 19 days. At about 20 days it was flashing orange, which is when I stuck it back on its base to charge. Unlike my older Sonicare Essence 5300, the cord can't be curled out of the way under the base. The 4100's cord is rather long and so I only use the base when I need to charge.

The 4100 was a good choice for me and I recommend it.

Bought this as a gift for a very particular friend. It lives up to his high quality and cost conscious standards. Even months later, we are both still mentioning how impressed we are with this product (I had bought one for myself before getting his). I’ll never go back to a standard toothbrush! The battery life is impressive. I only charge mine every 4 to 6 weeks.

Oh wow. I have used OralB for 5 years. Finally died and my dentist daughter bought this, and so did I.
Yes, it takes some getting used to.
It will splatter toothpaste out of you mouth unless you:
>Keep your mouth closed.
>Spit out the liquid that accumulates.
>Use it in the shower.
It makes your teeth rattle and tickles your tongue but it cleans.
It has removed plaque build up from the first use.
I routinely brush for 4-6 minutes and this is great.
Just allow yourself time to adjust to the difference this high performance machine brings to your oral hygiene.
Oh, and it holds enough charge that at 4 minutes/night I get almost 2 weeks between charges.

The sonicare electric was recommended to me by dental hygiene instructors in a clinic where I was teaching (I am a dentist). For years I had resisted getting an electric toothbrush thinking manual must be better but manual brushing simply will not get your teeth as clean as an electric. The sonicare is a well made unit, battery life is excellent, and the brush heads are very sturdy. Several models are offered, the pricing based on features desired.

For years my dentist's have been harassing me to get an electric toothbrush, and I always brushed it off (no pun intended). Well i finally bit the bullet when I saw a $10 coupon for the Sonicare. Frankly, this has been life changing. My teeth feel like I have just left the dentist office every time I brush! This has made me a convert to electric toothbrushes for sure.

Get it Now

0 comments:

Post a Comment