Tuesday, March 26, 2019

AmazonBasics Medicine Ball, 10-Pounds

AmazonBasics Medicine Ball, 10-Pounds

AmazonBasics Medicine Ball, 10-Pounds

Let's start by letting everyone know I've been in the fitness industry for almost 20yrs, worked in gyms and been a personal trainer for many years as well as fitness enthusiast so I know good gym quality. Okay, I am a firm believer in reading good reviews and the ones that are bad. I have to be honest and say that many times when I read reviews It is obvious that retail shops/competitors or retail distributors order certain product so their reviews are "verified purchase" and they can leave negative remarks to attempt to keep people from ordering the same quality on Amazon. With that said this is an AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME PRODUCT! It is the EXACT quality of medicine balls you'll find in commercial gyms such as LA Fitness, 24hr Fitness or any other big box commercial gym. If you are looking for commercial quality then lol no further as this product is for you!

Medicine balls are a neglected part of the fitness experience. They are more commonly seen in rehabilitation centers than mainline gyms, and perhaps for that reason they carry the taint of remedial or soft workouts.

Yet, these balls offer a surprisingly tough and fatiguing upper body workout. A ten-pound ball – roughly the weight and size of a gallon of milk – is a great way to build on a strength and fitness program. Start with 100 partner throws (depending on speed of the chest-high catch and release, this may take 2 minutes), before moving up to a 5-minute continuous throwing workout. It’s an exercise that is both invigorating and eviscerating. The effort is so gradual and yet so cumulative; the fatigue sets in slowly, then all at once.

Because you are pushing against the weight of the ball, then launching it through the air (or letting go in passing drills), the workout is completely different from pumping iron or other fixed upper-body workouts like chin ups. The best comparison for me is training on a speed bag in boxing. I love medicine ball workouts. They take up little space and can be used in a variety of standing and floor positions in both solo and partner workouts. And honestly, working out with a ball – even a 10-pound one – is fun.

AmazonBasics brand medicine ball is a solidly crafted piece of equipment with two-tone coloring, a pebbly, rubberized basketball-sized grip, and dense feel. Highly recommend buying several sizes in this line for your home-based gym.

NOTE: When throwing this ball, I suggest padded cycling gloves for comfort.

 Updated Review:
I have seen several incorrect statements concerning these ball. To dispel the myths I am updating this review. These medicine balls bounce with ease. They will work best for slam ball workouts. The ball is textured and it is easy to hold; there is no slipping during workouts. Stable construction and no signs of damage after several uses. My next purchase will be a the 18 pound ball when the 16 pound ball is no longer a challenge. Please see the video.

Original Review:
This ball is constructed well. It is made similar to the bouncing medicine balls at the gym. I found the 12 lb balls at the gym a little too light. The 4 extra lbs did the trick. It was enough to make my shoulders and arms fatigue. It bounces well and there are no signs of damage after a thorough session of slamming.

With a new baby I found myself doing a lot of upper body exercises while holding my little one. While this is a great upper body and potentially full body workout, I found the baby to be a little too squirmy to be effective so I decided to pick up this medicine ball. It was a great choice. It's grippy, compact, and effective. It also doesn't have a tendency to spit up on me while doing chest presses which is a big plus. Best part - this ball doesn't complain if I accidentally drop it.
Honestly - this is a great basic medicine ball. The rubber skin provides great grip. No 'heavy spots' with the weight evenly distributed across the ball. There are plenty of quick exercises you can do at home to do a full body workout with the benefit of building both slow twitch and fast twitch muscle. Ball seems plenty durable and should last a good long time. Great purchase. Thinking of buying another in a different weight.

Great ball. It does bounce. Been slamming it in the grass leaving a big crater. Great fun!

Edit: do NOT use for slamming on concrete. It will bust on concrete. Still a great ball, just bad judgement on my end.


Get it Now

Feature Product

  • 10-pound ball for upper- and lower-body exercises
  • Ideal for classic medicine ball workouts
  • Helps develop core strength, balance, and coordination
  • Sturdy rubber construction; can bounce off hard surfaces
  • Textured finish provides a superior grip

Description

An Amazon Brand.



Great bang for the buck like many other of amazons products. Ball is dead on for weight great grippy texture which is great because you don't want to drop this on your foot! It's solid no give at all.. me and my wife pass this back and forth while doing sit-ups on a decline bench a great effective excercize to do with your partner. I do wish it was softer because sooner or later I have a feeling me or the wife is going to get hit in the face with this thing but it's going to make a great story 😆

It’s a heavy ass ball. Seems indestructible. That’s all you really need to know. I’m not sure how you can give this ball anything but five stars. Like, what were you expecting? Anyway, this ball is good to toss to unsuspecting people. Like your wife. They will struggle catching it and it’s funny. They won’t see the humor in it but you will. Although I’ve never tried it, you could probably leave it in your front yard by the sidewalk and wait for some punk kid to come along and try to boot it down the street. Pretty sure it won’t go very far and the kid prob won’t go along kicking random objects for fun anymore. So right there are two pretty good uses for this product. You can also excercise with it. End review. Thank you.

Thinking I'm Wonder Woman, I decided I would purchase the 16 pounder to use along with Sagi & Autumn on the Beachbody Hammer & Chisel workout. But the issue is that even big ol' manly-man Sagi is using only an 8 pound ball during the workout, so it's been a real challenge to keep up (I'm 49 years of age, weigh 135 and am 5'5"). On the upside, it's the perfect type of ball for slamming moves and tossing drills for my son, who is a baseball player. Great moves for the core and the perfect weight for that sort of thing.

This ball is sturdy and well-made with a textured, no-slip rubber surface, very much like a super-heavy basketball. It's a terrific addition to our home gym. You'd have to be King Kong to damage it, I believe!

We had another heavy ball that has sand in it and the outer shell is pliable. I didn't like how it felt, kind of squishy. This ball is like a heavy basketball. Same texture. It was very slippery and had a strong smell of rubber when I first got it. The smell and slippery finish has worn off after about a month and it is perfect now. We also purchased the 4lb for my wife.

We use these balls with the Gilad : Lord of the Abs heavy ball workout, which I highly recommend as well. It was rough at first, but I can now do the 1 hour routine easily. I guess its time to upgrade to the 8lb or 10lb ball to keep it challenging.

I purchased 2 of these medicine balls for my home gym (20lb & 10lb). They were slick at first, but after using them in my workout that texture wore off as did the original rubbery initial smell. I refuse to pay ridiculous gym membership fee's so I am slowly building up my equipment list at home. So far I have purchased an Olympic bar, squat rack stands, dumbbells, and plate weights from a combination of Amazon and local sporting goods stores. My combination of P90x and Insanity keeps me in better shape then anytime I was a paying gym member. I highly recommend others to ditch the gym and go this route if you're actually interested in loosing weight and getting results!

Get it Now

0 comments:

Post a Comment