Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Philips Sonicare Essence Sonic Rechargeable Toothbrush, White

Philips Sonicare Essence Sonic Rechargeable Toothbrush, White

Philips Sonicare Essence Sonic Rechargeable Toothbrush, White

I am a dental professional, and have been using Sonicare brushes since 1992. This is the older (2nd gen) model, it is more durable than the more recent models. The handle is much thicker (and heavier) than the newer models, and the brush heads screw on (newer models just pop on). This may be a significant demerit for some users, but I have no trouble with it and again, it will last for many years. The only thing that can really kill it is the battery getting too old. Mechanically, there are no internal moving parts in this unit (other than the on/off button), the moving part being within the brush head itself, and thus it's renewed with each brush replacement. On the newer models, the mechanical parts are internal, and they can't be replaced. Hence, the newer, more expensive models will not last as long. A relative of mine only uses the newer ones, as they are for her more maneuverable. They last about 2 years.

Great affordable basic electric toothbrush. I have had the fancier more expensive Sonicare brushes in the past and never used all those extra features. So when my last one finally deteriorated after over 10 years of use, I decided to give the cheaper, more basic one a try. It is working great so far and I hope it lasts over 10 years like my last one. One thing I have learned, though, is to always remove the brush head after every use and wipe off the top of the electric tooth brush so the leftover toothpaste does not accumulate and start to mold.

Title says it all, and there is a reason why dental professionals recommend it.

I wish I had converted to an electric toothbrush sooner. It does take some getting used to as it felt like I was getting a cleaning at the dentist’s office every time I would brush my teeth due to the sound and feeling.

Once I got used to it and saw results, my only regret was not buying one sooner!

My one concern was battery life, having to worry about charging something on top of all my other portable electronics, but a full charge lasts about 4-5 days. Have taken on a week long trip and served well without charging once.

The power (on/off) button will start blinking when it is low on battery. Also, the brush will feel and sound weaker when it is low on battery. I charge it once a week. Some weeks twice a week, overall has not been much of a hassle.

Run time is exactly 2 minutes.

Sonicare makes way too many models, and most have some weird shortcoming. Some models have brush heads that readily fall off. Some have brushing action which is so weak that it's ineffectual. Some use brush heads that cost a fortune and only last a couple of weeks. But this particular model is a winner. It does what it should, and avoids the annoying defects of other Sonicare models.

If you want a Sonicare toothbrush, buy this model. If you already own a Sonicare toothbrush and it has an irritating design flaw, it's because you don't have this model. Shoulda bought this one.

Finally decided to go the electric toothbrush route now that the Sonicare line has gotten so inexpensive. I really like using this toothbrush. There's a bit of a learning curve when you first start using it, namely keeping your lips closed around it and spitting more often to keep toothpaste from flying everywhere. This thing vibrates extremely fast and it feels like it's doing all the work. I've been using it for a couple of weeks now and I can tell it's having a positive effect. Although my teeth are completely healthy my gums have slightly receded as I've gotten older. I just assumed this came with age. Now that I brush much more gently and let the Sonicare do most of the work my gums have started to un-recede(?) and stuff isn't getting stuck between my teeth as much. Now only if they could do something about my hairline! There are several reviews that talk about the inside getting gross due to water and toothpaste getting between the body of the brush and the head. Since the body is completely sealed and uses magnets to vibrate the head all you need to do is simply unscrew the head after you brush and rinse everything out. Bam! Good as new.


Get it Now

Feature Product

  • Allow the handle to charge a full 24hrs before its first use.The handle could be left on the charger at all times to ensure constant charge.
  • Removes up to 2x more plaque than a manual toothbrush. Includes 1 e-Series brush head 9standard)
  • Patented sonic technology: Dynamic fluid action helps clean between teeth and along the gumline
  • 2 minute timer helps ensure recommended brushing time
  • Rechargeable toothbrush with 2 weeks lifetime between charges
  • Reminder bristles fade away when brush head replacement is needed

Description

Taking care of your dental health is easy with the Philips Sonicare Essence Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush. This rechargeable power toothbrush features an angled neck, soft contoured bristles, and patented sonic technology to gently remove plaque in hard-to-reach areas. An easy-start feature helps you adjust to the Sonicare experience, while the two-minute Smartimer ensures you brush thoroughly. Essence Rechargeable Toothbrush remains charged for up to two weeks.



The Essence+ is absolutely amazing. It has the classic Sonicare tech, a rechargeable battery (good for around 20 brushes between charges) and the major selling point for me, it has the attachment for all the new heads. The guts are essential the same as the base Essence, but the Essence has a very limited number of head attachments. The Plus takes all the new attachments, so you can better customize your brushing experience. It's definitely bigger than the 2, 3 and Platinum lines and, unfortunately has a Ni-Cad battery instead of Lithium Ion, but I'd argue the brushing experience in this $40 brush is much better than the next two lines up and you'd need to spend $200 to get a truly more advanced Sonicare.

I ordered this on the advice of my hygienist due to badly receiving gums and difficulty in removing tartar at the gum line. It is similar in operation to the legacy electric toothbrushes that oscillate up and down (right angles to the handle), but it does it incredibly fast. There's no mechanical linkage to the brush head, just some metal plates,so I assume it's using a high frequency electro-magnetic field to move the head.

The head is smaller than a normal toothbrush, which is a plus since it allows it to go where a regular toothbrush can't.

My two gripes are that it's recommended you place the brush head every 3 months--at about $24 for two of them. The whole upper portion--nut, metal plates, and brush are replaced, not just the brush head... hopefully Philips will come up with a less expensive design.

The other gripe is that the On/Off button is flush with the handle, and hard to feel its location in order to press it...you don't want to turn this on outside of your mouth unless you want to be splattered with saliva or toothpaste.

I purchased the Sonicare essence recently as a Pre-Black Friday deal by Amazon and I was super satisfied with this product. I've had in the past several electric toothbrushes but they were mostly low cost and cheap ones that didn't motivate me to appreciate the value of a good electric brush. The Sonicare is a whole different story. When I brushing my teeth using it I feel like every single point around my teeth and the gum line is accessed and cleaned appropriately using the high speed vibrating head. I like the fact that it stops after exactly two minutes and I can extend it even further but two minuets is a good reminder to stop brushing. I do feel that my teeth are clean enough after each and every brush. This is a very good and exciting product that I wish I've had it sooner as it might have prevents lots of pain and money down the road.

I needed to replace my sonicare toothbrush due to the battery dieing after 5 years. I bought one for myself and one for my wife. When I first used it it seemed like it wasn't doing anything. I thought I bought two bad ones so I looked at the instructions ( I know, I'm a guy and instructions are for other people) and found the easy on feature which ramps up its power for 14 days to get used to it. I'm just putting this out to help others who find themselves in the same boat as me.

This is a powerful electric toothbrush, that removed two layers of coffee stains and some older tooth yellowing I thought would only come clean with a dental cleaning and brightening. I brush and floss regularly, and used a different electric toothbrush in the past, but this item took the cleaning up a notch to a more professional and complete cleaning. So very happy with the product in general. However, there is a design flaw in the way the brush head attaches to the body where the battery is stored. Water leaks in while in use, so you have to detach the head after every use and wipe it dry and let it drain, then reattach before using it again, which is why I deducted a star from the rating. This aspect of the unit is annoying, but I can live with the extra step. If you fail to do this, I can see, as others have reported, mold and other yucky things building up inside the handle. Also, I do let it charge up then I unplug the unit in order to preserve battery life.

Get it Now

0 comments:

Post a Comment