Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Weber 6494 12-Inch 3-Sided Grill Brush

Weber 6494 12-Inch 3-Sided Grill Brush

Weber 6494 12-Inch 3-Sided Grill Brush

I like this grill brush. It is sturdy and durable, bristles are strong but don't scratch, it is comfortable to grip, and it cleans really well. I can cover more grate area with this brush than regular square brushes and I love that it makes my job so much faster. I feel like I have better pressure and control with the short handle, but the heat can get a little intense, hence the four-star review instead of five. The 21-inch handle seemed too far down to grip well when I was shopping, but perhaps I should have gone with it instead. I will try that size next time. For this one, though, I feel like it is a good value for the money.

Finally a grill brush that doesn't melt on me! I made the mistake on the first couple of grill brushes I bought by buying plastic. As obvious as it sounds to me now, most BBQ sets come with plastic grill brushes. These might work fine if you only brush a cold grill but we all know how effective that is. This brush lasted me three years and the only reason I bought a new one yesterday is because the old brush was so full of grease. These things are so cheap it was worth it for me to throw the old one away and replace it for $8.

I bought my first one of these weber brushes in June of 2015. It is now Sept of 2018 and its still brushing my grills spotless. It has never lost a bristle yet. It has not rusted at all even being left outside on the table next to the grill in the rain for weeks. The stainless steel bristles are very stiff and really does a great job cleaning the grates. I love the 3 sided design of this brush. Works the best for cleaning stubborn spots in between each channel. I've used this brush on both round bar and channel shaped grates. It does a great job on both styles. I have used this brush on all 3 grate materials. Stainless steel , porcelain enamel , and cast iron and it works just fine on all three.
The reason I have had the chance to use this brush on all the different Weber styles and materials of grates is, every summer I buy a few used Weber grills and rebuild them as a hobby. I sell them at my cost or give some away to people that cant afford to buy one.
I saw some reviews claim that this brush scratches and chips porcelain enamel and damages cast iron. I find that is not true in my experience using on these finishes. The porcelain enamel grates , because they are made of 2 different materials , the steel frame and then the baked on porcelain tend to chip apart because the 2 materials have 2 different heat tolerances. Over time hairline cracks form under the porcelain coating from expansion and contraction of the steel it is stuck on. This is especially true on the porcelain channel grates where the porcelain finish is only on the top of the grate. All the edges chip right off. Once the hairline cracks form , and chips start to come off , condensation build up between the steel and the porcelain layers and starts to rust the steel. Dont blame the brush. What is happening is the brush is simply knocking off the already affected pieces. Cast iron grates do wear down using any style brush. Its the nature of the material. Every time you clean a cast iron grate you wear down a little of the cast iron because it is softer than the stainless steel. This will take a very long time to wear out a cast iron grate because they are so thick . But it will eventually happen. What I hate the most about cast iron is you have to constantly season the grate on both sides after cleaning it or it will rust. to me they are not worth the maintenance. When I buy a grill with cast iron grates , I usually throw them away and replace them with stainless steel grates. The only way to go is quality stainless steel grates. They never wear down from brushing them clean, not to mention they are easy to clean. Mine are 15 years old. Other than being discolored from the heat of 1000 barbecues , they are still as good as new.
There is definitely a difference in quality of brushes. This Weber brush is one of them. Dont buy the cheapo junk ones that fall apart and shed bristles in no time and believe they are all like that. I have bought those too and thrown them away after just a few cleanings. I just bought 3 more of these to give away with my rebuilt grills. This is an excellent price for this quality brush. Sorry for such a long review. Happy Grilling Everyone !

This brush works great on my Weber Q grill and is probably the best grill brush I have ever owned. If you turn the brush on end it fits nicely in between the openings on the cast iron Weber grill grate. Only been using a month and have not lost bristles yet. I don't understand the complaints in the negative reviews. Maybe this Weber brush is designed specifically for Weber grills.

This is a good quality grill brush but Weber tends to make solid products. The actual brush is very sturdy and has lasted for quite a while now. I like that it feels really sturdy when I brush the grates vigorously. I probably will buy another one once this one gets worn out but that might be a while.


Get it Now

Feature Product

  • Wide brush head cleans large surfaces quickly and efficiently
  • Shorter sides can be used for cleaning edges and dislodging debris between grates
  • Thick stainless steel bristles resist wear
  • Ergonomic handle provides control and leverage when cleaning dirty cook grates

Description

Whether you cook over charcoal or gas, this is a must-have tool for keeping grill grates free of food debris. Easily cleans hard-to-reach spaces between the cooking grates rods and in tight spaces at the edges of the cooking grates. Stainless steel bristles are extra thick for a longer life. Ergonomic handle Helps with grip.



Now that summer is over, I feel I can honestly review this item. A great, simple wire brush used for my Weber Kettle grill. Did not scuff or scratch the grate, did not warp even when cleaning over heated coals, very easy to clean (don't forget that the bristles are SUPER STIFF and accidentally grab them while you're cleaning it - the bristles have a great way of finding their way under your nail, OUCH). Definitely recommend as it has not rusted after being left hanging off the grill for a few days and is a nice, sturdy brush to have.

I have tried other brands of brushes but this one has worked better than any of the others. It's too soon to know about durability, but I'm hopeful. My cast iron grids are reversible--wider on one side and narrower on the other. This brush works fine for either side. Glad I have it a try.

i grill a lot during the summer and i abuse all my grill tools, this one being no exception. the heat, metal and grime will wear down the brush after a good summers worth of use and abuse.

it'll do the job and well, scraping and cleaning the grill, but don't expect it to last past 1 yr (if you grill a lot).

would appreciate thicker brush, metal frame and more heat resistant handle, but probably would be more expensive.

pros - price, does job.

cons - won't last, handle too short, brushes and metal frame will start to bend and get out of shape.

Bought one of these last summer and just started using it after my regular brush/scrapper started to lose bristles. I never thought I'd get excited about a grill brush, but it makes my life easier. It's longer heavy duty bristles reach well in between and on the sides of the bottom edges of grill rungs so well that there's no need to use a scrapper trying to reach those tight spots, this does it all. The angled corners work well to get smaller spots. I really love it. Seems study and well made, though time will tell best.

Does a good job of cleaning the grates on my new Weber grill. Just fire up the grill and scrub off the last thing you cooked before grilling your next meal. The only downside with this product is the length of the handle. I wish it was longer so you hand did not get as warm when you are scrubbing down the grill with this brush. Sure I could shut the grill off after heating it up and then turn it back on but who wants to do that every time?

Get it Now

0 comments:

Post a Comment