Wednesday, May 1, 2019

OXO Good Grips Silicone Drain Protector for Pop-Up & Regular Drains

OXO Good Grips Silicone Drain Protector for Pop-Up & Regular Drains

OXO Good Grips Silicone Drain Protector for Pop-Up & Regular Drains

After tossing away quite a few cheap-o drain protectors that became dingy over time no matter how I soaked and scrubbed them, I decided to splurge on this OXO silicone drain protector. I've been very impressed! It's tall enough to fit easily over my pop-up drain and (even without suction cups) the weighted top keeps it in place -- even with my faucet running almost directly on it [see photo - my water pressure is quite decent but your mileage may vary!]. I have medium-length hair and seem to shed almost as much as my cat, but the drain protector catches it all and is easily removed and tossed away. Best of all, in my case, the silicone hasn't held onto mildew or mold -- I have been able to spray and wipe away any grime with very little effort. It looks like this drain protector will last a very long time. This has been a very worthy purchase for the few dollars more!

I am using this for a regular (non pop-up) drain and it has been working fine.
While using the shower, it does leave a very small pool of water around the drain, but I did not have a personal issue with this. The pool of water drains pretty fast after the water turns off, and a small pool of water is a lot better than the shin-deep lake of water I was standing in when my drain was clogged from presumably a build-up of all my hair over the months. I have long black hair, and I shed everywhere, and I needed a cheaper solution to my severely clogged drain than using draino or calling in a plumber.
I've been using this drain protector for a while and I can tell it has been doing its job well. It stays in place, but can easily be moved by just a slight nudge of a toe--which is why I took off one star. But so long as I don't accidentally touch it, it stays above the drain and collects loose hair in a ring around its bottom.
Clean up is very easy. After the tub is drained I just take toiler paper and wipe around the bottom of the drain protector to grab all the hair. The hair comes off pretty easily, and I do a quick rinse of the drain protector afterward.
I don't know how long it'll last until it becomes gross, but I suggest to clean it daily if possible to prevent anything nasty growing on it.

This has been my saving grace!! No longer do I have to routinely pull 3ft long strands of old goopy hair up out of my drain. Catches everything. Must have for pop up drains!!

I've updated my review to include a pic of all the hair from my German Shepherd that did NOT go down the drain after her bath thanks to this product!!

It took me way too long to find this product - I'd never had pop up style trains before and it took me a lot of trial and error to find a drain protector that would fit.

My partner and I both have longish hair and despite the fact that we do our best to contain/collect what sheds in the shower our current apartment's shower drain would get plugged every 2-4 weeks. It was always because of hair and while not difficult to remedy, it was always supremely disgusting to clean out.

We'd never had this many issues but we'd also never had this style of drain before. I'm not a fan. The 'pop up' part was always closing itself mid shower so we took it out leaving the drain fully exposed. We spent a lot of time trying to find a cover that was a) functional and b) fit... I had given up when this popped up on my "recommended for you" list. Thanks Amazon.

We've only had this for about two weeks but I'm a huge fan. As others have said, it stays in place, catches an unseemly amount of hair (despite us both continuing to catch what we can) and is easy to clean. My one complaint is that the lip around the edge does cause a slight drainage backup, but it's minor compared to the ankle deep water we'd get when the drain was clogged AGAIN.

I clean off any hair right after I shower - this prevents the hair from getting crusted on (gross) and any remaining water to drain out (which keeps the tub clean longer)

Perfect for the bath to catch my long hair and my pet’s fur. It fits nicely over my popped up plug and stayed in place. My water does drain a little slower, but that’s fine. It also stays in place and does not slide round or lift up.


Get it Now

Feature Product

  • Catches hair without blocking water drainage and prevents toys from escaping down the drain
  • Tall, dome shape accommodates both flat and pop-up drains
  • Drain protector is weighted to keep it in place
  • Stainless steel and silicone construction
  • Edges of drain protector sit flush with the tub so no hair gets through

Description

Keep your drains free of debris with the OXO Good Grips Silicone Shower & Tub Drain Protector. The Drain Protector catches hair without blocking water drainage, and the tall dome shape accommodates both flat and pop-up drains. The silicone Drain Protector has a stainless steel weighted accent to keep it in place over the drain, and the edges sit flush with the tub so no hair gets through. Now you can go back to singing in the shower without a care.



First - let me state that I have 3 feet of hair. I've had long hair for almost 20 years now...my ears alone are keenly attuned to hearing drains scream when I walk into any bathroom. Hair maintenance in all forms is a highly developed skillset in my household, along with vacuum brush roller maintenance...and I'm expert-level in cleaning out hair brushes. With that said, any hair catcher has to do it's job or it's tossed immediately, because I never want to become an expert in clearing clogged drains.

I have used the OXO drain protector for several months now, I have one in each bathroom in my house. I did read some earlier reviews about the hole size at the bottom letting hair through, and that may be the case for someone with shorter hair, I don't know, but for mine - this thing catches all my hair, every time. The design seems to work extremely well. After every shower or bath, I have to clean both the outside around the flatter edge and the inside, as the hair will catch and ball up a bit before trying to go down the drain, so it catches quite a bit of my hair, about the same as my previous catcher. Also, with a little vinegar and water, these are super easy to keep clean, so hopefully these will last much longer than the cheap-o white ones you can buy at any grocery store.

My drain has a post that sticks up and it is very hard to find something that fits. I tried the Tub Shroom, and even though it fit my drain it was an absolute fail, didn't catch a single hair. Zero stars for that! So after I threw that out, I tried this one by OXO. It is nice and heavy, doesn't move around. Catches every single hair that I shed, and I have fairly long fine hair so that's a lot. Just wipe the hair off with a tissue and you are good to go for next time. I like it so much I had to buy a second one as a gift for my daughter and she loves it as well.

I live in Texas and my place overlooks a heavily wooded greenbelt. This means that we can get bugs that crawl up plumbing. Ewwww! 😳 I wasnt sure this product would work, but it is a lifesaver! If you have ever lived where large water/palmetto type bugs and scorpions find ways inside looking for water then you know what I’m talking about. The metal at the top is heavy enough to act as a weight so a bug coming up the pipe cannot bump it or squeeze through the bottom (I’ve used this for over a year and so far so good!). A bonus is it’s also a great long hair catcher and still allows water to drain easily. As with anything, there’s a little maintenance to keep this working smoothly. Before getting out of the shower, I spray down the drain with hot water to break up any buid up from shampoo and conditioner and this keeps the silicone drain cover clean. Before my next shower, with a tissue I pull away the dry loose hair that circled around the base and it is good to go.

Repeat purchase: I purchased a flat flush screen type cover for my kids tub and it clogged leaving her standing in water while showering, so I purchased a second OXO. I highly recommend!

I was accused in my last home for being the sole reason as to why our bathtub was clogged and had to be the one to freaking clean it all the damn time. I was so annoyed because I knew it had to be them as dirty as they left the bathtub!!!! I bought this product in my new home just in case it really was me and used it one time and had showered about two days prior before using this. I also decided not to brush my hair either just to see the results and it looked like I got into some fight with some dumb whore and she ripped a fist full of hair out of my head. This product seemed to have caught all of it even though for some reason it just does not stay plugged onto the tub, but at least it didn't move around so it still did it's job. If it did miss some of the hair it's unreal as to how much it actually caught in that shower... I'm worried about the amount of hair I lose now instead and wondering why my hair is still incredibly luscious and thick despite how much hair I lose each shower....

I had to pay a plumber $100 to snake out the clogged pipe in my bathroom sink. It took him awhile to complete the job. I even tried 2 different drain solutions that did not work. I have a pop up gadget in my sink and this drain protector fits right on top and pretty much stays in place. I can now see the amount of hair and gunk it prevents from going down the drain. I remove it every 2 days or so and take it to the trash can and wipe it off and spray it with Lysol disinfectant spray to keep it sanitized. Works very well protecting my drain.

Get it Now

0 comments:

Post a Comment