Thursday, May 2, 2019

Rowenta ZD100 Non-Toxic Stainless Steel Soleplate Cleaner Kit for Steam Irons

Rowenta ZD100 Non-Toxic Stainless Steel Soleplate Cleaner Kit for Steam Irons

Rowenta ZD100 Non-Toxic Stainless Steel Soleplate Cleaner Kit for Steam Irons

Arrived in a beat up box that looked like it had been sitting on a shelf for 20 years. But the product worked well. My iron soleplate was stained with heavy stubborn buildup from what I presumed was hard water calculus that appeared following a lengthy "session" with a damp press cloth. I wasn't convinced I hadn't ruined my iron. NOTHING else worked to get the buildup off. Gave this a try....worked beautifully. Used 2 applications of a 2 inch ribbon of the cream and all of the stains disappeared. Iron is back to ironing beautifully and glides well. I did it outdoors because I read reviews about smoking/fumes. I did not have this experience. Smoked a small amount (which is normal according to package), but nothing serious.

Drawback: small amounts of the cream collected in the holes and did NOT come out using the steam burst function (per the instructions). Had to use a toothpick and small amounts remained. Ran iron over a clean cloth with heavy steam to ensure future fabric won't be affected

If a picture worth a 1000 words than you have 2000 words of my review in those pictures.

Great product, everything you need is included in the box. I ran out of the cleaner otherwise it would have been completely clean.

One advice, use it in open space like backyard or balcony. My house was filled with white smoke (the instructions mentioned it, but I wasn't expecting that much) I had to open several windows and run exhaust fans for 20-25 mins to clean the air in the house, luckily the weather was nice to let me open windows for that long. The smoke didn't have bad odor, it was just annoying to see smoke everywhere. Took one star off for that, also a tiny bit more quantity would have been nice in my case, but my iron sole plate was really covered in burnt fibers so it may be enough for others.

First of all, Kudos to Rowenta for making a clothes iron that has lasted long enough I even had to *worry* about cleaning the soleplate. My last three irons were Black & Decker, and they all died well before I the soleplate was wrecked.

Okay, I've tried all the home remedies to get my stupid iron clean. Nothing worked. Vinegar? Nope. Baking soda? Great, now I have to clean out all the steam holes; that's useful. Salt? Nope. Elbow grease and a no-scratch scouring pad? My arm hurts; my iron is still black.

This stuff? Works. Creates A LOT of smoke - as others have said, do this outside, or drop a vent fan in whatever room you're working in.

My iron was practically black around the edges (see pictures), and I had to deviate from the instructions a bit to get results. Just ironing the pad wasn't creating enough friction, I ended up flipping the iron back up, applying the paste to the cloth, and scrubbing by hand which worked really well, and I could see the results as I worked. Sure, there's a higher risk of a first-degree burn, but in order to keep myself from getting weird black gunk on my clothes it's worth the risk.

Worked beautifully. Be aware that if you have a year+ worth of gunk stuck to your iron (mine was mostly just starch and detergent), you'll probably have to use an entire tube worth of cleaner to get it off. Still much cheaper than a new iron; and the cleaner is not offensive smelling, either. It just smokes, a lot.

The old Rowenta iron had a ton of gunk buildup on the plate (or whatever it's called) so we were looking for a way to clean it.

This kit performed magic on the cleaning of it. It took two applications an cleanings, but the plate is clean as new. Follow the instructions and you will be good to go with no need to buy a new iron.

I do recommend you use two terry clothes that you can throw away, though, as it will make a mess of the cloth you use to clean, depending on the amount of gunk on your iron.

Based on how much was left of the cleaning paste, I would say this is good for maybe 3 or 4 cleaning applications. *Maybe*

This product works like a charm when used as instructed. We have a 3 year old Rowenta steam iron with a stainless sole plate. Over time, it had accrued such a build up of cruft that it was leaving marks on clothes. I tried different cleaning techniques I had found online with limited success, so I went ahead and bought a cheaper Shark iron. The Shark failed within about 6 months (the steam button became stuck) and I was back in the market for a new iron when I stumbled upon this, quite by accident. Let me tell you, this stuff works. I did have to use more of the tube than the instructions had indicated, but I also had a HEAVY build up. It took a bit of doing, but that sole plate is absolutely as good as new and the iron works like a champ once again. I bought a second kit, just in case - but it looks like I won't need it just now.

The stuff comes with two cloths, one is terry and the other is like a microfiber-type. It also comes with a tub of cream-colored treatment (a generous amount - I was able to run through 4 "cycles" and have some left over. First, you have to empty the iron of water (you don't want it steaming) and then set it on the 3 dot setting (cotton). You layout an old cloth to protect your ironing board, fold the terry towel in half and lay out a bead of the cream about 2 inches in length. Once the iron is good and hot, begin ironing on top of the cream in a circular motion - you'll start to see the "crud" collect on the terry towel, keep going. I did it for a solid 5 minutes and found that most of the build-up was gone. I rubbed the sole plate down with the microfiber cloth and then laid out a second bead of cream on the other side. Again, the build up transferred to the cloth. I had just a tiny bit left, so I did it a couple of more times, alternating the side of the terry towel I was working on. Eventually, it got the iron back to new condition, with not a speck of crud on it.

Anyway, as with anything, it pays to READ the instructions and understand the process before you get started. I paid a good $70 or so for this iron, so the kit is well worth the money to keep it running like new.


Get it Now

Feature Product

  • Using the soleplate cleaner can improve the glide and make it easier to iron once build up from clothes, starch or melted synthetic fibers is removed
  • Simple, regular cleaning will keep the soleplate in its original condition and protect your iron
  • Safe to use on all types of soleplates.There is no expiration date for this item.
  • Set includes: 1-ounce tube of soleplate cleaner; application cloth; polishing/finishing cloth; instructions
  • Cleaner is non toxic

Description

The rowenta zd100 soleplate cleaning kit contains a specially formulated cream that cleans soleplates by removing the draggy coating caused by excess starch, detergent build up and burned on synthetics. It is also ideal at removing melted webs, fusibles, iron on interfacings and trims. The cleaning kit is appropriate on all types of soleplates. Kit contains: 1-ounce tube of soleplate cleaner; application cloth; polishing /finishing cloth and set of instructions.



The cleaning kit removed melted synthetic material on my 12-year-old Rowenta SM700- needed to repeat the process for 10 minutes because the gunk was pretty heavy. I didn't expect the brown spots in the indentations to come out since they don't come in contact with the table surface. Iron is good to go, again!

Side note: The cleaning cream doesn't smell bad or strong.

I don't have anything to compare this to as this is the first iron cleaning product I've tried, but it worked as described, was pretty easy to use, and hardly left any chemically smell in the room when I used it (although I did keep all the doors and windows open). It took off all of the residue, and the cleaning cloths included were fine, although CAUTION: the green cloth ran in the washing machine (cold water) so be careful if you machine wash it!!!!

I was skeptical that anything could save my Rowenta iron; the soleplate was covered with a dark black residue. It wasn't sticky or particularly thick but it was charred and looked as though it had actually become part of the iron. In fact, I wasn't even sure it was a residue at all. Perhaps the stainless steel had become permanently discolored? I tried EVERYTHING to remove this stuff: my fingernails, a scrub brush, abrasive compounds and other cleansers. Nothing worked. I finally saw this product and decided I had nothing to lose because I was on the verge of purchasing a new iron altogether; not an inexpensive proposition when you're talking about Rowenta. Well, suffice it to say that this stuff worked beautifully. It removed every last little bit of charred material from the soleplate within minutes (seconds really). It is very easy to use. First, make sure that the iron is empty of all water and heat it to its maximum setting. Second, take the small tube of cleanser and squirt a two inch line onto one of the two cloths that comes in the box; in this case, the white terry cloth one. Then, take the hot iron and literally iron over the cleanser in a circular motion (I used some pressure). Finally, if necessary, use the second cloth (the green one) to remove any leftover cleanser (I did not need the second cloth). There was some smoke during the process but the instructions say this is normal. It took me three trys -- about half of the tube -- before every last bit of charred material was gone but the soleplate looks brand new. I highly recommend this product. It saved my iron and saved me the $100+ I would have needed to purchase a new one.

I absolutely love this product. The day I received it I had to rush to an appointment so I had a choice of either waiting to try it or use the 15 minutes I had to spare to work on my iron. Well, needless to say I was very eager so I had to try it right away even though I knew I would have to rush a little bit. This cleaner is amazing. I know some people were dissatisfied with this products performance stating that it did not remove all the fabric stains from the iron but the instructions clearly state that there are some fabrics that may not be able to be removed. When I first got my iron, I was not used to something so powerful with so much steam. Shortly after the first few times I used my new iron, I had fabric remnants on the bottom but slowly over time I got used to how to operate it properly and so I began looking for something to clean it with. I had to step up my search when I accidentally dropped the iron on my carpet and burned remnants from the carpet onto the iron. I was livid. This cleaner took everything off that was burned to the bottom and now the sole plate looks practically brand new. The surface is smooth and once again glides over the fabric. Follow the directions and you cannot go wrong. I had to press hard to remove the stains of fabric but it worked. This item is a must have and I highly recommend it.

The cream is in a toothpste squeezable tube. Instructions say to use at least a 2 inch amount. I found that by using less ( thin) it appears to work best as you will need to do it over and over if iron is dark brown to black. It does work very well but be aggressive and leave iron on tough spots at highest heat. I used the whole tube in one shot but my Rowenta is now all silver on the plate. I gave 4 and not 5 stars because I felt the instructions called for more product then needed. Will buy again as it is better than vinegar or scraping. I am updating today as I cannot stress using small amounts direct from tube onto plate of iron and then pressing onto cloth. This is the best cleaner I have used and price beats ruining some of your best clothing with brown/blacks stains.

Get it Now

0 comments:

Post a Comment