Thursday, October 24, 2019

Mohawk Home Dual Surface Felt Non Slip Rug Pad, 2'1 x 7'10, 1/4 Inch Thick, Safe for All Floors

Mohawk Home Dual Surface Felt Non Slip Rug Pad, 2'1 x 7'10, 1/4 Inch Thick, Safe for All Floors

Mohawk Home Dual Surface Felt Non Slip Rug Pad, 2'1 x 7'10, 1/4 Inch Thick, Safe for All Floors

After reading other reviews I had a number of concerns about this product, but none of them turned out to be an issue. There was barely any odor -- far less, in fact, than the new rug itself which I had recently bought at Costco. The felt material is clearly made of some sort of recycled plastic, which is what I expected. It's not pretty, but it's not meant to be. The dimensions seemed to be dead on. I ordered a 5' x 7' pad and that appears to be precisely what I got. The way it was packed there was only one substantial crease in the pad and after a few days it was gone.

As for function, my new carpet definitely feels more substantial and richer with the pad under it, and it no longer shifts and slides on my hardwood floors when I walk quickly across the carpet, which was my main concern. The pad is a bit less than a quarter inch thick. It added some height to the carpet, but not enough to be a trip hazard, just enough to add a little cushioning to the carpet and give it some heft. The pad actually cost more than the Costco carpet it's under but it made the carpet go from feeling cheap, stiff and thin to feeling like a high quality carpet. I will definitely buy again.

I don't have wall-to-wall carpeting in my home. I have hardwood floors and area rugs instead. Some of my rugs are thick, expensive wool and others are inexpensive polypropylene. One thing I've learned is that ALL rugs benefit from a rug pad.

Rug pads extend the life of expensive wool rugs by providing padding between the rug and the floor. Less expensive rugs feel like more expensive rugs underfoot when you use a rug pad.

There are many different varieties of rug pads available. Compressed foam, thick plain felt, rubberized non-slip foam, etc. This rug pad by Mohawk is a non-slip felt with a rubberized backing. The felt is coarse and scratchy which will grip the back of the rug and keep it from "walking" off the pad. The rubberized backing keeps the rug exactly where you place it, keeping it from creeping out of place with heavy traffic.

It measures 1/4" thick and this is the thickness I prefer. If your pad is too thick, spike heels or even furniture legs can tear right through finer, more delicate rugs such as silk. Also, if a pad is too thick, it can cause people to trip because of the height difference from the floor.

This is an 8' x 10' pad, but it can be trimmed to the size needed. I recommend trimming a pad at least 2" smaller than the rug on all sides to prevent people catching their toe on the edge of the rug. You can trim this pad with utility scissors or a utility knife fairly easily. Marking it for trimming took me more time than the actual trimming.

I'm so pleased with this pad. I replaced a plain felt pad I had under a machine-made wool rug. It feels like walking on a cloud and despite it being in a high traffic area, it hasn't budged an inch since I installed the pad.

I rarely write reviews, but I'm very pleased with this purchase. Great product, fair price, and excellent customer service as well. I've seen similar premium pads for $100 more, but I'm glad I went with the Mohawk. I had a few reservations after reading reviews that complained of a bad off-gas odor from this product, but thankfully my pad had absolutely no smell. I emailed the company with my rug's exact dimensions, and they cut the pad to size for free before shipping, which was really helpful, because it's for a large handmade rug, and it would have been annoying to trim an 11'x14' pad by myself. Our kilim is a beautiful, but thin flatweave rug, and with the old waffle-type pad underneath, there was always wrinkling in the fabric, and it felt a little insubstantial. With the Mohawk pad underneath it, the rug lays completely flat, feels much more solid underfoot, and very comfortably firm and sturdy on my wood floor, just as I'd hoped. Very satisfied.

These are my go-to rug pads. We have wood floors and have used those less expensive "waffle" style pads in the past. They left the pattern on the floors of our previous home and I wasn't able to mop it out. Not willing to risk that with the refinished floors in our new house, I have purchased these for all of our rugs. They really do work. A couple of the rugs were on the thinner side (purchased for the design rather than the pile) and this pad made them feel very soft and luxurious. Heads-up---they are a pain in the patootie to cut. You will need a GOOD pair of scissors (and a magic marker and yardstick for marking your lines) to cut to size, but it is doable.

I have these under large rugs, but have used them under runners and smaller rugs. In my experience, they held smaller rugs with little or no movement. They are definitely worth the extra money.

High quality pad. It's a felt-y fabric on top and non-skid rubbery on the bottom. The thickness adds a nice cushion to the carpet, but not so thick that it makes the furniture wobbly or anything.

Advice: Measure it before you try to install, and hang on to the box. The product came with no labels. After laying it out, i realized they sent me the 8' x 11' size instead of the 9' x 12'. They sent a replacement that was the "correct" size. It was actually a few inches larger than 9x12, so i had to trim some off. Fortunately, it cuts pretty easily with regular household scissors.


Get it Now

Feature Product

  • Mohawk Home Dual Surface Rug Pad is a non-slip 100% recycled felt rug pad with latex backing providing area rug protection and added cushioning
  • Measures 2'1" x 7'10" | Pile Height: 0.25 inches
  • Machine made with 100% post industrial recycled felted synthetic fibers | Latex backing provides grip to help keep rug in place
  • Rug pads should be spot cleaned with a solution of mild detergent and water or cleaned professionally. Do not machine wash.
  • Made in the USA

Description

All-surface, adds cushion, prevents slippage, bunching and wrinkles, will not stain nor discolor your floors, can be cut with scissors to trim to size. A rug pad is essential to keeping your rug attractive and to extend the life of your rug. Mohawk Home always recommends the use of a slip resistant rug pad under your rug.



Works well for Rug on top of Carpet
This pad has 2 surfaces for different usage configurations. For my application, the coarse side holds the rug in place on top of a low medium pile carpet.
The rug is in a busy walkway/play area and had plagued me with its bunching and moving using a different type of non-slip pad. Anchoring the edges with furniture only made it worse.
This pad does not completely stop the movement but it is markedly better.
Note: this pad arrives folded. It will take a few days for the fold marks to flatten out and your area rug to lie flat.

We purchased this surface protector for an area rug purchased on amazon. Carpet does not slide. I was worried that it would end up marking our wood floors but we have had this just a little shy of two years and no permanent markings to our floors. We do pull it up every couple of months and clean under it. The first time we did we noticed the imprint of the circles all on our floors and I panicked. Then I took my finger and it wiped away easy. We just do our normal mopping and it comes up and floors look good as new.

I like it; however it is so thick and heavy that it is hard to cut to size. I ordered a 4 x 6 to go under a 4 x 6 carpet but the pad is wider and longer and must to trimmed. So far, haven't found any scissors in the house that can do the job. This is tough stuff. Would have given it 5 stars except for the fact that it is hard to trim. One side is somewhat smooth and the other is not. Great product, good thought went into construction and with the exception of the difficulty I am having with it (my fault I don't have heavy duty scissors), it is highly recommended.

Review by my wife - The pad came folded in a very large box sealed in plastic. The quality is very good. There is a non slip side which is place down on the floor. The picture enclosed in the package states, "Fits Rugs Up To: 8 ft. 6 in. x 11 ft. 6 in. (102in x 138 in). Actual Pad Size: 8 ft. x 11ft. My area rug measures 8 ft. x 11 ft. (My couch is 10 ft. long) So this pad should be perfect. It was not. The pad measured 7 ft. x 11 ft. My husband and I had already taken our couch apart (heavy 2 piece leather) and we are not about to start over, so we placed our rug on the pad anyway. We placed the pad close to the front of the rug and decided the 12' that had no padding under it would be okay under the couch without padding. I am so happy that everything eventually fell into place. My previous problems with area rugs bunching up has been solved with this pad. My new area rug stays flat and looks gorgeous. I would not hesitate to order again taking the varied sizing into consideration when ordering.

I purchased this Mohawk Dual Surface Felt and Latex Non Slip Pad to use under my New King Sized Mattress that kept shifting on the foundation base. I searched for something other that those thin foam type pads that was just not going to provide me the stability for the size of the mattress I have, so, the idea came to me that if this will hold a large rug in place, why not a large mattress. Received the item very quickly, unpacked it, laid it out for two days to flatten out, and then went to work on getting it under the mattress, and putting my bed skirt and bedding all put on. I am very pleased to post, NO MORE SHIFTING, everything is staying in place and makes my life easier to make my bed now. The Latex side down on the foundation, and the Felt side up allows the bed skirt AND the mattress to stay in place without bunching up under the mattress, and the thickness of the pad has no impact on damaging my mattress either. My Husband thought it was an Awesome idea. Thank You Mohawk, Love Your Products!

Get it Now

0 comments:

Post a Comment