Monday, November 25, 2019

Contigo 2063300 SNAPSEAL Byron Mug, 16 oz, Dark Plum

Contigo 2063300 SNAPSEAL Byron Mug, 16 oz, Dark Plum

Contigo 2063300 SNAPSEAL Byron Mug, 16 oz, Dark Plum

Decent travel mug, but the cap can be tricky. If you don't push down on the cap while twisting, it will leak. Also, it IS possible to open the snap seal while holding with one hand (use your thumb or index finger). Keeps drinks hot/warm for several hours.

UPDATE: NEW LID! (See Pic: Old Lid (left) vs. New Lid (right)).
I was contacted by Contigo regarding my concerns about the lid. Fortunately, they offered to replace my mug free of charge with a NEW lid (hooray lifetime warranty!). The newer lid has a different design on the interior and is EASIER to screw on than the old lid. Also, the spout opens wider so that more liquid pours out whereas the old spout only opened a little bit.

Okay so I am going to give this cup 5 stars because of the price, spill proof lid, durability and the fact that this cup simply feels great in your hand. The rest of the Contigo cups are a solid 4. Their are a lot of comments about why would anyone want a cup that holds Ice all day and your a snob who is living like the Joneses. Well here is my simple explanation. I spend a lot of time on the lake almost every day in 90+ degree heat and always mix drinks a cup that holds ice like these do means your pulling less ice out of your cooler to make drinks witch at 3-4 dollars per 10 pound bag adds up to a lot of money buying when your buying 20 pounds of ice on Friday and Saturday to keep your cooler cold through Sunday nite because your constantly pulling ice out to make drinks. Just add that up over a 5 month boating season. You can do the math! I have tried a number of these cups and honestly have to say that Contigo makes my favorite. They have the spill proof lids and hold Ice forever and at about 15 dollars they are a fraction of the Yeti price. The 20 ounce cups are my favorite and I have saved a lot of money on ice since using them. I fill the cup with my ice maker and it last all day and sometime into the nite mixing drinks with the chilled items in my cooler. I have been getting through a whole weekend on one 20 pound bag of ice instead of three since switching to these cups. Additionally it is hands down better to have closed containers on your boat and not beer cans laying around if you get safety checked. Also the Contigo cups are air tight and keep a beer not only cold but carbonated. I love the Yeti and use it every nite for cold water by the bed. The Yeti was a Xmas gift from my daughter. But for any type of actual activity the Yeti cups are over priced and the lid simply falls short. Save your money and get one of these you will not be disappointed. The Contigo cups are all great. I am not a huge fan of the narrow neck because it is difficult to get ice in it under your ice maker but this model has a wide neck and takes ice well. Additionally the lid threads around the outside of the cup so you can fill it all the way to the top with ice and still get your lid on. I am surprised this is the cheapest of the Contigo cups I have one or two of almost every model as I require every passenger to have there drinks in a sealed container. Absolutely no beer cans allowed. The cups are simply awesome. Cheap, durable, stylish, spill proof, and COLD. Don't just get one get 4-5 for the price of one Yeti they make great gifts. I have 6 of this model unfortunately I have lost 2 lids. Hope this review helps. I don't usually do reviews but I have saved so much money since using these cups I feel like spreading the word.

Update Feb 2019:
After reading a subsequent review, it appears that the cap on this thermos may have been redesigned, therefore this original review might not be relevant anymore. And if the lid has been improved, well I would still give if 5 stars (unless 6 is a possibility).

Original review:
As others have said, this is a great mug and I love it. But the problem I have is that it is too hard to push the lever upward, which opens the drinking hole, especially when the lever and your hands are wet! The mechanics of the problem are that the open/close lever is held closed by a rise/bump.tongue thing that the locking lever down, but not with a smooth and rounded bump. Instead, the bump has a level side with a 90 degree angle. This means that the recess on the lever must overcome that level lock side that holds the lever with too much grip (I hope this makes some sense).
So the solution for me was to use a knife/tip/edge to change the shape of the locking bump/tongue to make it more like a smooth mound instead. Do this by scraping off the right angle edge on that bump, on the bottom part of that tongue/holding bump. (See picture of the knife edge, which is pointing upward and ready to scrap down the right angle edge on the bump to make is a smooth more rounded edge on that locking bump.)
With this minor modification, the close lever is held down the same bump, but with a somewhat rounded edge. This allows the lever to be released (and to open the drinking hole) with much less upward force. Works great for me!

First off, the styling of this travel mug is great. It's huge but slim enough to fit in my cup holders. The matte black finish is so cool and modern.

Today was my first time using it. I made coffee at 9:30 am and prewarmed the mug with hot tap water. I drove an hour to my destination and it was still too hot to drink. I ran errands all morning and I finished my coffee at 1:30pm! It wasn't luke warm either. It was still hot enough to be enjoyable 4 hours later! The out side of the cup never got warm. Next time I won't prewarmed it so I can drink it sooner. I'm about to order another for my husband. We are super impressed.

What I like:

1- The capacity is 24 oz. I found the 20 oz bottles(even the ones from Contigo) were a bit small. I wanted something that would last me 3-4 hours of drinking, and 24 ounces fulfills that need.
2- The cap is improved over the Contigo Autoseal West Loop version, because there are fewer mechanisms to move, and therefore, fewer probabilities to break.
3- The cap is smaller and lighter, and MUCH easier to clean and keep cleaned.
4- The rubber band around provides a great handling grip.
5- THE PRICE. It is bigger than the Autoseal version, yet a whole $5 cheaper($15 vs $20+). A great value!
6- Great quality. Contigo makes high-quality bottles, and this one is no exception. It can hold cold for up to 21 hours, and hot up to 9 hours - can't beat that!

What I don't like:

1- The mechanism to open the seal to drink is very difficult to operate/open. It is almost impossible to do it single-handedly if you are not a professional arm wrestler. So this kind of defeats the purpose of this being a sports bottle, or especially when you are driving, etc. This is a big negative for me, so that's why I rated it 4 stars instead of 5.
2- Being 24 ounces big makes it more gangly and less compact and portable than its 16- and 20 oz brethren.

Overall, because of its capacity, quality, and price, this is a great value, and highly recommended!

UPDATE: November 9, 2016 - I love the 24 ounce version, but unless you leave it in your car or on your desk or somewhere stationary, it's height makes it less balanced and harder to carry around comfortably. Also, the rubber grip band is not sealed to the mug, so after a certain number of washes, the water build-up will soon give off a foul odor, so I just went ahead and took it off. I also went ahead and bought the 20 ounce version since it was only $9 to compare and contrast. In the photo you can see the difference, mainly that the smaller mug is shorter and wider, providing a better balance, but of course less capacity.


Get it Now

Feature Product

  • Drinks stay hot up to 6 hours or cold up to 12 with THERMALOCK double-wall vacuum insulation
  • SNAPSEAL lid technology is leak-proof when closed
  • Easy one-handed drinking with a flip of the lid
  • Fits most car cup holders for a no-hassle commute
  • Top-rack dishwasher-safe lid, and hand-wash-only stainless steel body

Description

Enjoy a leak-proof day with the Contigo snap seal Byron Vacuum-Insulated Stainless Steel travel Coffee mug, 16 oz. The lid's snap seal technology is designed for an easy one-handed drinking experience, even during your morning commute. Pop the top to drink your caffeinated beverage of choice. There's no lid to unscrew or remove. Just make sure to snap it closed when you’re done sipping to seal the leak-proof lid. Thanks to Thermalock Vacuum insulation, your new all-day companion Keeps liquids hot up to 6 hours or cold up to 12.



Love this coffee mug.

I had a corporate promo travel mug prior, and even though the lid would close, if I accidentally tipped it over, it would leak all over the place.

I finally had enough of that and saw the reviews on this mug and am very glad I decided to purchase it. Not only is it leak proof, but it keeps my coffee hot for a much longer period of time, for hours actually!

I was concerned about the screw on cap that everyone was complaining about in all those reviews. However Contigo must have been paying attention and fixed that issue. I have no issues screwing the cap on or off.

I was also concerned about washing the gasket like material at the sipping part of the cup. However, that can be washed easily if you have a baby bottle scrub brush.

Again, great product at a great price!

Big fan of the 16 oz Contigo Vacuum insulate travel mug. Owner of not 1, not 2, but 3 different Starbucks vac insulated mugs and I am pleasantly surprised to find the Contigo mug superior to all the rest. Bought it primarily because I needed one that fits my Keurig 2.0 K575 brewer and it does (must remove drip tray). It keep my coffee hot for many hours (4-5 easily). Since it is stainless steel all-around, top aside, there is no funny taste with anything and everything I store in it. Easy to use, appreciate the rubber grip around the top half of the mug. The SnapSeal initially took a little getting use to but after just one week I feel like a "semi-pro". Honestly, its much cleaner than traditional travel mug flip tops (such as the over priced Starbucks mugs). At 7.29 it is only a fraction of the price of a Starbucks mug (by the way I truly loathe Starbuck's practice of overpricing everything). I see the price has increased to around 8.00, still a steal. Great product, great value.

It is a great travel mug, the best feature that sets it apart from other contigo travel mugs is the lid. The lid is a flip up design which allows it be easily accessible and thereby cleanable. The other mugs have a push button/autoseal design and the lid has compartments which can not be accessed and cleaned and it starts to become a hygienic problem and it affect the taste of the coffee. This mug is so simple and efficient that you can clean it ina few minutes as opposed to trying to buy small wire brushes to snake in the push button openings/autoseal of other lids. I highly recommend this mug. I enclosed a picture of both mug lids side by side so you can see the ease of cleaning the snap seal over the auto seal.

I have owned almost every version of the Contigo coffee travel mugs, I love how they actually do keep my coffee hot and mostly spill-proof. I say 'mostly'because once in a while, I do get some leaking out from under the cap, but not often. This version is my favorite so far because the cap is much easier to clean than previous versions.

The one thing I'm definitely not a fan of is the rubber on the click lock part of the cap is disintegrating after just under 11 months. Granted, I literally use this every day, and always click the lock closed because I can be clumsy and don't need to be spilling hot coffee all over. I had hoped with this latest redesign it would last a little longer than all the other versions I've had to throw out. Hopefully their *next* redesign will address the rubber portion and make it more durable. Had to knock a star off for the click lock rubber disintegration, but can't complain about the cup doing its part to keep my coffee hot!

I love these. Any hot beverage you put in it in the morning is still at least warm by the end of the day, and the liquid stays actually hot for an very, very long time. Hours. It doesn't leak, and the ones I purchased have lasted well. It's been a few months now, and we have been putting them on the top rack of the dishwasher. Sometimes I have to add a little hand washing because they are so tall and thin that the dishwasher spray doesn't completely clean them out. The color coating on the outside is flaking, I suspect from dishwasher cleaning, but we really don't care about that. What I do care about is keeping my coffee hot, and that it does like a champ. By far the best coffee mug I've ever used. Some days I'll stick the last of the coffee from the maker in one of these and leave it on the counter. If I want a cup of coffee in the evening, it's still nice and warm, so no need to make a new pot for just one cup of coffee.

Get it Now

0 comments:

Post a Comment