Monday, June 24, 2019

AmazonBasics 5-Shelf Shelving Unit on 4'' Casters, Black

AmazonBasics 5-Shelf Shelving Unit on 4'' Casters, Black

AmazonBasics 5-Shelf Shelving Unit on 4'' Casters, Black

I don't want to be TOO hasty in writing this review, I just got this today, so if anything goes horribly wrong, I'll just...Amend it by reviewing the other two of this same unit that I just ordered. A little background: I purchased this unit as a test to see if it would be a good replacement for some seriously sagging bookcases that I bought last year to hold my extensive liquor collection. After checking out the specs and then the reviews, I thought "what the heck." It shipped and arrived fast, I like that. I also like that this unit was easy to put together. I read and followed the instructions carefully and had no trouble putting it together in about 15 minutes. There are a few gripes from negative reviews that I would like to address with this review. YES, one of the shelves was slightly bent on arrival. I took a mallet and straightened it out. Problem solved. YES, the little plastic collars that hold the shelves in place are fluted AND THEY HAVE A TOP AND A BOTTOM. Install them correctly and you shouldn't have any trouble. The shelves have a top and a bottom too. Same thing. Is it a tad wobbly when it's finally assembled? Sure, SO ANCHOR IT TO THE WALL. I actually grabbed a 50¢ metal bracket from the store because I wasn't super impressed with the anchoring device it came with and my workaround works great. I also put some of those furniture slider disks under the legs, worked great for getting it into final position. NOW THE BEST PART: It's sturdy when properly assembled and anchored, I believe it can and will hold the weight it claims to. I have this first one loaded down with rum and it's standing straight and true. OH YEAH: the space between the wires on each shelf is significant, so get the shelf liners if you're going to be using this for things like bottles. I ordered some and am making-do with cardboard (just cut up the box it came in) until they get here. Overall, I like this unit. Is it SUPER attractive? No. Is it perfect as packaged? No. Is it a good value? Yes. Do I recommend it for simple, easy-to-assemble shelving needs? Yes.

This shelving unit is wonderful! My husband has a lot of heavy books that just weren't fitting on his bookshelves, so I bought him this. We have to shelve the books sideways, but he actually likes it because now he doesn't have to tilt his head when he's reading the titles - haha! Love the brushed black finish - very sturdy!
[...]! :)

As you can see by the pictures, I ordered these shelving units to use in my kitchen because at the moment I lack a proper pantry. There is a ton of space on these shelves and they are far beyond my expectations in strength and build quality. If you use the wheels, they roll amazingly well under load as the casters they provide are in line with the strength of the rest of the unit. How they produce a unit with these features for 50 bucks is beyond me.

My only criticism of these shelves is that the wires are a bit far apart for small items. If you plan to use them as I did I would recommend getting liners for them such as these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WWCLZVX/ref=crt_ewc_title_oth_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A170SHF1TBYL40

The shelving units are delivered with the posts in two pieces that are assembled with a nipple between them. Once assembled, these posts are quite long and cumbersome to deal with. I suggest assembling them a bit different than the instructions state. Trying to assemble the shelves with the posts together or the wheels on first makes for a frustrating battle especially if you assemble them alone.

Do not assembled the posts together or put the wheels on first!

If you have a table to work at, open the box entirely and leave it laid out on the table as protection for the table.
Starting with the 4 lower posts, put the plastic wedges on where you will want the lower shelf and make sure the ridges inside the wedges are in the same groove on all for legs. Put the bottom shelf on the table you are working at with one long side of the shelf hanging over the edge allowing you to pass the posts up through the shelf without having to try to hold it. Once those two legs are inserted flip the shelf around and install the other two posts. Next put the shelf fully on the table and place the next set of wedges on the posts half way up the unit. Now lower the next shelf down over the posts. Having two shelves locked in place will give the unit the stability you need to make assembly so much easier. If you are going to put the wheels on the unit, lay it down on its back while on the table and remove the leveling feet and install the casters keeping in mind the set of casters with the cardboard on them have the wheels that lock. Now place the unit on the ground and continue the assembly process by attaching the top portion of the posts and then adding the final 3 shelves. Done in this way assembly is so very easy and takes less than 15 minutes per unit.

What inspired me to purchase the AmazonBasic Shelving was reading a previous review about the wheels. I'd been looking at 5 shelf utility carts and had chosen another one, then I read a review that said they previously purchased this cart, but the next cart they'd purchased was not as portable because of the wheels and they were returning it. As you see, my kitchen space is very limited, and I'd recently bought a Kitchen Aid stand mixer, I needed the mixer to be stationary, hence, no counter space. This 5 tier shelf is everything and solved all of my space issues and yes, it's very sturdy and has the best wheels for portability!

I almost sent this back because, as others write here, I couldnt get the plastic sleeves that support the shelves to stay together. I looked at answered questions and found the problem. It is true that the instructions are terrible and printed so small that you can't see any detail. So, when putting the sleeves on the poles be sure that the inscribed arrows are pointing up on each half of the sleeve. You will find that when you slide the first half on and downward it will catch slightly on the pole, then push the second half on. There will be a slight gap on one or both sides of the sleeve, not a problem. Be sure to lower the shelves onto the poles with the lip DOWNWARD. I assumed that the lip was for cargo security but no. The shelves are designed to slide down and mostly cover the sleeves, thus securing them and giving stability to the whole structure. Hope this helps.


Get it Now

Feature Product

  • 5-shelf shelving unit for your kitchen, office, garage, and more
  • Each shelf holds up to 300 pounds with leveling feet, 132 pounds with wheels when not in motion, or 88 pounds with wheels when in motion with evenly distributed weight
  • Total max load weight with leveling feet is 1500lbs, with wheels when not in motion is 661lbs, or with wheels when in motion is 441lbs
  • Wire shelves adjustable in 1-inch increments
  • No tools required
  • Durable steel construction with black-coated finish
  • 4'' industrial rubber casters for easy moving, adjustable leveling feet also included
  • With leveling feet measures 30x14x60.5inches (LxWxH), with wheels measures 30x14x64.75inches (LxWxH)

Description

An Amazon Brand.



Moved into a smaller apartment and need more space to put my appliances so I bought this shelf which is sturdy and doesn't occupy too much space.

I think this will be a good shelf - it looks sturdy but I have not put it ALL together yet. So far, there is a mistake on every page. The first step says attach the feet by screwing them in counter-clockwise - NOPE - it is clockwise - so that is fairly easy to figure out. However, the second step says to rest the shelf on the two halves of the plastic sleeves that you attached in step 1. NOPE. The shelf has to slide over the plastic sleeves - this keeps them in place. If you try to rest them on the sleeves, they will break apart. Initially, I thought they should snap together but they do not. Then I thought it must be defective if they won't snap together. I suspect a lot of returns could have been avoided had the directions been rewritten or corrected. It was only be searching through other comments that I learned the shelves are supposed to slide OVER the sleeves. I'll update this if I find anything else but this was a major point I hope future buyers will take note of.

Just as I expected,all parts were there. i have put a few of these together before, make sure to lock the wheels before you use them or it will start moving, two of the wheels have a lock function and two are just able to move freely. All in All im satisfied, works perfectly for what I wanted it for.

The shelves are sturdy and a good value. The assembly instructions are useless. Don't waste your time. If you Google Wire Shelving Rack Assembly, you will find a video showing exactly how to put these together. The video is for a different brand, but it is exactly the same.

The little clips that hold the shelves in place are a little funky. They don't tell you this, but if you look inside you will see a tiny little ridge. When you put the clips on the support poles, you want to position them just above the groove where you want them. If you slide them down and you will hear a click when they hit the groove. Alternatively, you can leave them just above, and when you put the shelf on you can push the shelf down and it will keep going down until the clips hit the groove. After doing more several, I found the first way gave me better results.

The first shelving unit took a long time to assemble, mostly because I was trying to read the useless instruction book. After watching the video, the next one took 20 minutes.

Perfect for my tiny kitchen art studio. Just as pictured and easy to put together. I bought the plastic shelf sheets Amazon suggested with this and they fit perfect.

Get it Now

0 comments:

Post a Comment