Sunday, November 24, 2019

AmazonBasics Silicone Macaron Baking Mat - 2-Pack

AmazonBasics Silicone Macaron Baking Mat - 2-Pack

AmazonBasics Silicone Macaron Baking Mat - 2-Pack

These baking mats are absolutely fantastic. The quality is superb, and SUCH a good price. I use them for just about everything I put in the oven. From oven pizzas, cookies, you name it! I also love that besides food sliding easily off the non stick surface, that they help protect all my baking sheets and such. It’s also super handy to just throw them in the top shelf of the dishwasher or even just wipe clean. Also, an easy tip for storing these, you can cut off about 1/3 of empty paper towel roll to use as a holder, and just roll up the mats and slip inside the roll/ring for easy storage of the mats in a drawer. I highly recommend these!
Update;
I’ve had these mats and we use them almost daily for almost a year now. They still look brand new and I have had no problems with staining, melting or the mats becoming worn. When using them, I cook most items at 375 degrees but have used them at up to 425 degrees several times with no issues so far. For clean up, I generally drape them over my cups in the top rack of the dishwasher and then when dry roll them up and slip a napkin ring or rings cut from and empty paper towel roll so they fit easily into a drawer. These things are fantastic and have paid for themselves many times over in the superior non stick surface, ease of clean up and the cost of parchment paper and or/aluminum foil I used prior to discovering these.

I didn’t think it would make a difference to use this mat or to use parchment paper. I was wrong. These make all the difference in the world. I’ve made the same recipe for years and when I tried these mats the cookies actually came out better! Crunchy on the outside - soft on the inside. Would definately recommend these.

Silicone mats make cooking and clean up so much easier. These mats are excellent for the price. There are a few drawbacks as others have mentioned:
Staining : they do stain. It doesn't seem to affect their mostly non-stick surface, but if you want them looking pristine you'll be disappointed.
Burns at 400+ : even though they're marketed as being safe up to 480 degrees, they will burn at a little over 400. At 425 they will emit a very strong acrid smoke that burns the eyes and the lungs.
Mostly non-stick : on parts of the mat I'll have a cookie stick to it and leave some of itself behind. For most of the area of the mat, things seem to come right off no problem.
I would recommend them, as long as someone's aware of their limitations. I have purchased them again to replace the ones that get burnt or lose their non-stick surface.

These silicone baking mats get used regularly at my house. They are well-made and cut pan cleaning time down to a quick wash and rinse. The mats themselves come clean with minimal effort IF washed in the dishwasher. I have a sanitize cycle that I use every time I run my dishwasher (I specify this because I believe the hot water makes them come cleaner). I run them through with a full load of dishes (I specify this so you know everything comes good and clean with the mats in the dishwasher, too) on the bottom rack. I fold them, length-wise over a single, but full row of dividers for optimal clean. So the mat takes up 2 full rows where platters would go. Washing them by hand can be clumsy and seems like a waste of time/effort when they come so clean in the dishwasher. They maintain a slightly "oily" texture when clean, I store them on top of the sheet pans I use them with.

These work perfectly for their intended purpose and are an exceptional value for 2- 1/2 sheet sized mats. From cookies to fish, I've not had any issues with undercooked, overcooked or burned foods.

The cleaning of the product concerns me though. After using the mats for only regular baking (cookies & bread) 3 times, I used it to bake fish. Fish turned out great, but the mat was left with a lingering odor and greasiness of the fish.

While I understand that this can happen over time with the scents becoming embedded in silicone, I didn't expect that after only 4 uses and only once for a oily/smelly food. I tried the recommended soap and water and the top rack of the dishwasher with no luck. I used Dawn Platinum Heavy Duty Degreasing dish soap (1 tsp per gallon for use) and it was still greasy and fishy smelling. I considered other cleaners, but didn't want to break down the integrity of the silicone or worry that I was further embedding a chemical. Ultimately, I soaked it in a 'third-sink' sanitizer for a few minutes at a 200ppm mix, let it air dry and greasiness and odor went away. I then rewashed on the top rack of the dishwasher and it was back to it's normal state.

Bottom line, great product for regular baking or for catching messes in the oven. Foods slide off with ease and the mats clean well for normal baking. For greasy foods like fish, I'd designate a mat, consider upgrading for this purpose or just use aluminum foil and throw it away.


Get it Now

Feature Product

  • 2 non-stick silicone baking mats for easy and convenient baking
  • No need for oil, cooking sprays, or parchment paper
  • Oven-safe up to 480 degrees F
  • Features guide lines for 30 macaron halves for each sheet
  • 11 5/8" x 16 1/2"

Description

An Amazon Brand



Somehow I lost my old Silpat baking mat - how does one lose a baking mat??? I live in a small house and have to 'squirrel things away' for storage as my husband says. I suspect it is lost in the depths of the cabinets, but who really knows??

Anyhow, due to my missing baking mat, I set out to get a replacement. I initially thought I'd go with another Silpat, but they were pretty costly compared to others out there. I was initially hesitant that this set of baking mats by AmazonBasics would be sub-par - boy was I wrong! At least of equal quality to my long-lost Silpat mat.

I have to thank another reviewer who said they store the mats directly inside the baking sheets. I have 2 of the industrial type baking sheets I purchased at a restaurant supply store many years ago. I now store the 2 new AmazonBasics baking mats right inside those pans. I never need fear losing a baking mat again!!

One note - I've recently been making batch after batch of Thai/Peanut Roasted Tempeh Bites (Minimalist Baker website - check it out - YUM!!) that have a really dark colored and very potent sauce brushed on top during the baking. This sauce did discolor the mats, which I don't have an issue with, and the potent flavor lingers. However it you plan on making sweet vs. savory items on the mats, I'd suggest separating them for those purposes. Or ordering 2 sets - one for sweets and one for savories. Kind of like with a cutting board, you don't want to cut an apple after you've just minced garlic or chopped a bunch of onions!!

All in all, great silicone baking mats that I would highly recommend.

I have only used these once so far, but they did the job. I baked yeasted 48 dinner rolls for a holiday meal, and laid them out on these mats for their final rising. I could only bake one batch at a time on my good baking sheet. But I was able to lay out all the rolls on the two mats and just slide one mat at a time onto my baking sheet. When the first batch finished baking, I slid the first mat off and then slid the second mat onto the baking sheet and popped it back into the oven. The rolls slid right off the silicone, so I had no sticking or loss. I plan to make some Cornish Pasties soon and will use these mats at that time. If anything new comes up, I’ll edit this review.

I love these mats. I do not think they are made to last for a year if you cook every day like I do. I go through a set in about 6 months. I buy new ones simply because they take the stains that I do not want my pan to take. I am always cooking with olive oil, I cook everything from meats to veggies, and I only wash them by hand since it is super easy to just rinse them off in the sink.
I use them for broiling, but they do not get any closer than 6" the upper electric elements. Similarly, I do not let them get closer than 6" from the bottom elements of my electric range oven. Honestly, I know of very few recipes that call for the pan to be right up on the heating elements to justify the chance of burning your mat.
They can go in the BBQ grill with medium heat (300-500)(only on an upper tier rack though!!!!!) no direct flames, but great for a cooking mat too keep stuff from sticking or falling through the grills.
At the end of the day, silicone gets dirty when your pans stay clean. For $9 I can buy more to save my $50 pans.

This product is Great, oh that is the title too, because we absolutely love this product. This belongs in every kitchen. Replaces parchment paper, aluminum foil, and non-stick sprays. Should have bought these years ago. We roll them up and keep them in an empty aluminum foil box.

I was ordering tons of things and in a rush shopping online at night and a cutting board was on my list, so I ordered this. When I received it I read that it can go in the oven. Silly me this isn't a cutting board but a eco-friendly parchment paper replacement, which I use a lot of. So I'm actually really happy I got this I just saved myself money buying more parchment paper and last week my husband put wax paper in the oven until I yelled to take it out. So you may have also saved a house from burning down as well. This goes great with my new keto diet because i use parchment paper all the time and now I don't have to supervise my husband, well that might be a stretch.

Get it Now

0 comments:

Post a Comment