Friday, November 1, 2019

Craftsman 9-17816 General Purpose Red Stripe Vacuum Cartridge Filter, 8.5 Inches - White/Red

Craftsman 9-17816 General Purpose Red Stripe Vacuum Cartridge Filter, 8.5 Inches - White/Red

Craftsman 9-17816 General Purpose Red Stripe Vacuum Cartridge Filter, 8.5 Inches - White/Red

The package did match up with the model number of my vac and it did not fit on my vac. But with a little creative ingenuity, I cut the threads off the bottom of the filter and batta boom it works like new. With the threads on the nut wouldn't thread on.

2015: Ordered this 17816 filter for my old red 9 gallon Sears Craftsman Model 113.xxx shop vacuum. It is good quality and fits perfectly. Comes in an official Craftsman box with a plastic cap-nut. It measures 6 3/4" outside diameter x 7 3/4' tall and the bottom is wide open (no bottom cover plate). Mine goes over a 4" diameter x 7" tall plastic cage with a plastic 1" long stud on top with a 7/16"-ish thread. Push it down over the cage to seat it and then spin the plastic cap-nut on. I'd suggest looking in that cage first to remove any debris caught in there - you can try and pick any debris out through the cage slots or just pop the whole cage off with some effort by forcing the bottom circular plastic seat lip over the three bottom cage locking tabs - then snap it back on. The top nut is multi-use designed to also work with models with a large diameter stud or a non-threaded stud. Suggest not washing paper filters when they get too clogged ... they curl and can clog more ... instead, take them to a gas station or car dealer and air-blow them out from the middle.

Fyi, the filter received has no "ears" like the picture. It is a simple circular plastic plate with a hole in the middle for the stud.

There are 4 same-size filters in the product line, so pick the one most appropriate for your use: 1) 17816 general purpose (this filter); 2) 17907 for finer dust & ashes; 3) 17912 for ultimate fine pollen & allergen-level filtration; and 4) 17292 wet-only filter.

I have had my Craftsman Shop Vac for at least 15 years, probably longer. I was worried about the replacement filter not fitting properly. Should not have worried, fit easily and quickly. There is a difference in the original filter and the new one. The original had a plate built in at one end that the wing nut screwed down to. The new one has that cover built in with a pronged nut that goes on and secures the filter. Easier and one less part. I did have to push the filter down the cage and make it go on but that was no big deal at. I am happy and recommend this filter.

Perfect fit to replace the worn filter on my ancient Craftsman Shop Vac. This part number comes in a bunch of flavors, with all of them seeming to fit my vac anyway.

I saved the old cap and screw on piece from the old filter, but this comes with those (which do not exactly match the old one anyway).

My vac is from the mid 1990's, model 113.177360 and this fit it perfect.

The filter actually seems as good or better made than the original. I rarely replace the filters so this is only my 4th or so.

I ordered this for my 30 year old Craftsman Shop vac. The new design features an attached filter cap that’s held on to the screw post by a black plastic friction nut, not the original red plastic threaded nut.
The filter is the exact right size as the old one. The difference being what I previously stated about the cap. Anyway, just to be on the safe side the filter and attached cap allowed me to use the original threaded nut instead of the new design friction nut.
All is well.


Get it Now

Feature Product

  • The Craftsman General Purpose Red Stripe Filter is great for cleanup of everyday dirt like sawdust, wood chips, job site debris and car or truck dirt
  • Fits all Current Craftsman Wet/Dry Vacs 5 gal. or larger, Also fits 6 gal. vacs made since 1992 and 8, 12, 16, 32 gal. vacuums produced since 1988
  • Fully assembled, so get it home and start using it, Available in white/red
  • Dimensions: 8 in. H; 6.75 in. diameter, Item Weight: 4 lbs.

Description

The General Purpose Red Stripe Filter from Craftsman is an efficient filter that is designed to tackle everyday dirt like sawdust, wood chips, job site debris and car or truck dirt. With up to 10 times the surface area than standard foam filters, the Red Stripe Wet/Dry Vac Filter from Craftsman is fully assembled and ready for use. The pleated paper technology creates an over sized surface area for efficient dust and dirt removal and can be easily cleaned. This filter is compatible with all Current Craftsman Wet/ Dry Vacs 5 gallons and larger, as well as, 6 gallons vacs made since 1992 and 8, 12, 16, 32 gal. vacuums produced since 1988. To ensure maximum performance of your wet/dry vac, replace this filter or upgrade to #17912 or #17907 on a regular basis.



This filter is a perfect replacement for my over 12 year old Craftsman 5 gallon wet/dry vacuum. Installation was very easy. Fit was to-spec.

This filter has been used primarily for [dry] shop floor clean-up of wood debris as well as lathe, band saw, table saw and miter saw dust extraction. While not the perfect solution for dust extraction (should have a dedicated extractor), this filter, when new, allows for excellent suction at the point where dust is generated.

I have been able to knock out the collected debris from the filter baffles for 2 re-uses of the filter (using a respirator outside as this is a very dusty procedure), but I can't recommend more re-uses. My subjective observation has been that the filter captured a very high percentage of the fine wood particles made by my shop's machines. And each re-use is subject to an increasingly clogged filter.

The filter has a cap already on one end instead of being open on both ends. The filter's cap has a bushing that keeps you from installing the holding but on by more than a few threads. I trimmed the bushing down and was able to get the nut fully into place. Otherwise it's a good fit.

This is one of those cases where the replacement item is made better than the original. No need to use the lid and nut from the old filter. The new one is an all in one package. I put it on my 22 year old vac, which was still using the original filter.....really. I used it often but just brushed and re-installed the old one but it finally needed replacing. Hopefully this one will last as long????

I have an old Craftsman 16gal wet/dry shop vac, you can't find many parts for nowadays, when searching for a replacement filter I was hesitant on buying one that wasn't the exact match, I took a change (after allot of research) bought this one and it fits as nice as the original and works almost as well.

My only problem (with all filters) is that you have to purchase separate ones for specific stuff you need to pick up (e.g. saw dust, drywall dust, etc) Once upon a time (that I miss) one filter would handle it all. now companies like to rip you off by having you buy more than one filter for different jobs. Being a "shop vac" for mainly "basement/contractors" I would think that they would have just kept making one filter for all jobs.

However, I will recommend this filter.

Perfect replacement filter. The design is a little different than the original but there were no problems installing and tightening. I usually just blow out my old filters and keep reusing but someone got it wet and it molded so I really needed this replacement.

Get it Now

0 comments:

Post a Comment