Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Rowenta DW5080 1700-Watt Micro Steam Iron Stainless Steel Soleplate with Auto-Off, 400-Hole, Brown

Rowenta DW5080 1700-Watt Micro Steam Iron Stainless Steel Soleplate with Auto-Off, 400-Hole, Brown

Rowenta DW5080 1700-Watt Micro Steam Iron Stainless Steel Soleplate with Auto-Off, 400-Hole, Brown

Okay, I'm a 40 year old man reviewing an iron... It's okay because I'm secure in my masculinity and I am not ashamed to say that I absolutely love using this iron. I always hated trying to iron clothing so I would take it to the dry cleaner and have my shirts and incidentals laundered out of laziness. It occurred to me that it's their equipment that makes their job fast and deliver high-quality results. This is the case with most things, if you use high quality tools you get high quality results assuming you have the know-how to use them. Well most people know how to use an iron so get the best possible one that money can buy and you're in business. This thing is almost laughable with the amount of steam that I can blow out. You can empty the entire Reservoir ironing a couple of shirts, that may seem like a pain but let me tell you I can iron a linen shirt that has been balled up in the back of my closet in about 3 minutes with this iron. It's just that good. Because the results are so impressive it makes the chore of ironing that much less of a chore. Therefore, you can rationalize purchasing this iron for no other reason than you will actually enjoy ironing if you own this. ( and your clothes will look great)

UPDATED: December 26 2018
I completely forgot to do this update after my March update. However due to the outcome (please read reviews written below for the history), I can UP the stars from 3 to 5.

Rowenta serviced iron & replaced the entire reservoir. It was returned to me in 1 week! Not the 2-3 weeks as noted. It's been 9 months and I have absolutely NO problems with this iron. I suspect the iron originally sent to me was somehow damaged before I ever received it. The repairs done cured all the leaking issues and even the lack of stream production when the reservoir goes below half (a complaint I had when I first got the iron). The only quibbles I still have are about ergonomic features and the missing "cup" that used to be standard with all Rowena's. I'm a very happy customer and hope I can keep this iron another 14 years like my first two.

UPDATED REVIEW: March 20 2018
I received DW5080 in July 2017 and wrote a review (you will find below this one). In January 2018, my DW5080 started to leak in various places. The iron was only 5+ months old and I had cared for it according to Rowenta's guidelines. But from past experiences with customer service reps (CSR) of various companies, I didn't want to phone Rowenta. But the leaking started to increase, so I called them 7 times yesterday. They were having phone problems and after taking all my info (including a call back # in case we were disconnected), the call went blank and all the promises of sending me a return label by email never happened. Today, I called back and had the following experience.

The CSR today listened attentively to my troubles: the iron started to leak in various spots around the iron; the front panel in front of the handle; from the temperature dial; and from the screw on the bottom close to where the power cord is attached.

The CSR then asked what kind of water I use. Well, exactly as Rowenta requires - .tap water! CSR says my water is probably hard. I should use bottle Spring Water, but never distilled. This is because the iron has an anti-calc feature, and is more finicky that the Rowenta irons I had previously (1st lasted 15 years; 2nd is 13 years old but leaks too much to use water in it). But the iron must have minerals to work...just not too many minerals.

I'm giving these details in hopes it may help others who are experiencing similar problems. If you do decide on buying this to be aware that the new technology will cause you problems if your tap water has high mineral content. But whatever you do, don't wait to contact Rowenta about a problem. The CSR suspects my iron may be defective and their service center will have to pull it apart and try to fix it. Depending on what they find, they will either repair it or replace it. The CSR generated a case #, and my iron will be serviced for free - it will be gone 2-3 weeks. I'm not thrilled to be without my iron, but I do have the 13 year old one I can use still and it wasn't a hassle to get them to listen and answer all my questions. After I get my iron back, I will do another update to this review letting you know how DW5080 fares in star numbers.

BELOW is the original review I posted after receiving this iron.
Unfortunately, because I've used Rowenta irons made in Germany for over 25 years, this, my 3rd iron by Rowenta, is clearly not of the same caliber as the previous two. It is adequate but they've managed to "dumb it down" to the new economic model of "good looks but less quality." You may find my review nitpicking but it's accurate; especially since Rowenta may still make the best household iron out there.
Observations / Likes / Dislikes:

The stainless steel sole-plate is not as high quality as before - visually is more dull in appearance.
The auto-off feature engages too quickly, so I'm constantly having to wake it up (I sew and this is annoying. My previous Rowentas all had this feature but never at this annoying timing)
The opening to fill the water reservoir at first looks like a great feature because the cover is large. But the design is terrible unless you're filling it from the kitchen sink from a high neck faucet. Using a measuring cup (no longer included with this model) takes a bit of skill. But humans are adaptable and that's why Rowenta has redesigned.
Once the reservoir has about 2/3 of a cup of water left it will NO LONGER give you any steam. I have been used to emptying the reservoir fully. I wonder why this is now a "feature?"
The iron "pings and pops" not sure why, but the spring used for the reservoir cover pings as the heat affects it. I already expect, this part of the iron to break in no time.
The buttons for steam and spray were redesigned for looks but not function. So as you hold the iron and press, your hand inadvertently engages these buttons because they end too low on the handle.
When you're finished using the iron, you CANNOT fully empty it of the water. This is a problem if you plan to keep the iron in good working order. The 1-2 tablespoons of water that [annoyingly] remain will in time corrode the main screw on the iron and it will leak. Not sure what to do about this except store the iron upside down in hopes of it drying out.
It still produces a great amount of steam from the (350+) holes in the sole-plate.

So with all that, I still think this is a good and well above average iron. It was disappointing for me, that the quality & design has not been maintained. My previous DZ5080 Focus is still in service, but she can't be trusted to hold her water. I paid only $59.99 for it and had I cared for her a little better, she'd be in better shape. But comparing the two - DZ5080 & DW5080 - leaves me a little sad.

I plan to write the company and give them my own review. Not sure how they will take it, but it's worth pursuing.

This review is comparing the BLACK+DECKER IMPACT Advanced Steam Iron, IR3010 with the Rowenta DW5080 Focus 1700-Watt Micro Steam Iron Stainless Steel Soleplate with Auto-Off, 400-Hole, Brown. Basically they are both good irons and I think you would be happy with either. The Rowenta is currently about $20 more than the Black and Decker but it also has a couple of things that make it a little better.
- Size and shape of the actual iron surface on each is about the same. The B&D has a slightly more pronounced nose
- Controls: I like the Rowenta better, I tend to accidentally move the steam control on the B&D. However, both are intuitive and easy to operate. I prefer the top mounted Rowenta water spray button over the bottom mounted B&D but both work fine
- Power: B&D is 1500 watts, Rowenta is 1700...I feel like at full temp and full steam the Rowenta puts out more steam, however steam burst seem about the same on both
- Rowenta has a self clean function, B&D doesn’t appear to...haven’t used Rowenta enough to know if it matters
- Cord on both is robust and same length
- Water fill...works about the same on both, no complaints...it looks like Rowenta may have a bit more capacity
- Apppearance...I don’t really care what an iron looks like, but they both look nice for irons
- The Rowenta has way more steam holes than the B&D, which may explain what looks to me like higher steam output on that model
I am giving both five stars. They are both nice irons, that feel solid, function well, and have roughly the same features. I like the Rowenta a little more for the reasons above but it also costs more. The biggest factor is probably longevity but I have only had them for about a month so that remains to be seen.

Rowenta DW5080 Focus 1700-Watt Micro Steam Iron Stainless Steel Soleplate with Auto-Off, 400-Hole, Brown

I usually don't write many reviews, but wanted to help others with my opinion in using the Rowenta DW5080.
This was my 1st Rowenta iron and for the most part, I really loved this iron. Mainly due to it being a heavy iron with plenty of STEAM.
In previous years I would only purchase 1700-watt T-Fal irons. Mainly because I usually get at least 4-6 years of quality ironing and no problems. I just wanted their newer model of a 1700-watt iron, so I chose the T-Fal FV4376 ultra glide iron (last T-Fal prior to purchasing a Rowenta). To me the T-Fal prices was not that expensive (always less than $40 at that time of purchase).
However, since I always heard that Rowenta made excellent longevity type irons, I decided to shell out the extra bucks.
During the 3 years of ownership of the 1700-watt DW5080, I would grade this model as a A+. Heavy iron, plenty of steam (A+++), smooth face plate and got out wrinkles quickly, uses regular tap water, turned off automatically and a very heavy solid feeling iron. But for the extra $50 (when comparing the price, I paid for my T-Fal) and only 3 years, 3 months of use, the DW5080 now leaks.
So, in my opinion, my T-Fal lasted longer, much lighter weight iron, steam (grade “A”), but not as excellent as the DW5080, but they both are 1700-watt iron. But, I like the feel of the Rowenta while ironing. Much heavier solid feeling iron.
I will try another Rowenta 1 more time to see if it last as long as my previous years of the T-Fal ultraglide models. Now, just waiting for the Rowenta DW9081 to arrive.

I was hesitant to pay so much for an iron but I am glad I did. This iron is larger and a little heavier than any previous iron I have ever owned but it really does the job nicely. There are hundreds of steam holes in the bottom so you really get a huge blast of steam when you call for it. It decalcifies automatically and you can use regular tap water in it. The The cord is extra long and the iron looks impressive. It heats up really fast. The only thing that I can say negative about this iron is it - like every other steam iron I have owned - drips when you press the steam button.


Get it Now

Feature Product

  • STAINLESS-STEEL SOLEPLATE W/ PRECISION TIP - Easy gliding across different garments, smoothing hard-to-reach areas, and 1700-Watts of Power
  • 400+ STEAM HOLES WITH 35 G/MIN OF STEAM - Provide excellent steam distribution
  • EASY CONTROL THERMOSTAT KNOB - Easily select the ideal steam output based on fabric
  • USE TAP WATER TO IRON - Easily fill the iron with easy fill hole, anti-drip lid, and translucent water tank window
  • SAFETY COMES FIRST WITH ROWENTA - Automatic 3-way shut off system to prevent accidents ;Anti scale function - Integrated anti-scale and Anti-scale setting
  • MADE IN GERMANY - German quality with stainless-steel soleplate, anti-calcium system for tap water use, and auto-cleaning system

Description

Made in Germany and loaded with features, this Rowenta Focus steam iron makes easy work of removing wrinkles from fabric. The iron’s smooth-gliding stainless-steel soleplate features 400 steam holes to ensure thorough steam distribution and time-saving efficiency, while its stainless-steel precision tip maneuvers effortlessly over collars, along seams, and between buttons. The iron works with tap water (no need for distilled) and powers on with a simple turn of the thermostat knob, which comes with clearly marked low to high heat settings and options for nylon, silk, wool, cotton, and linen. The iron auto-adjusts the steam output to match the soleplate temperature (turn auto-steam off for dry ironing). It also offers “burst of steam” to remove tough wrinkles and vertical steam for drapes and hanging garments. For safety and peace of mind, the iron shuts off automatically after 8 minutes if left unused in the upright position and after 30 seconds if left in the horizontal position or tipped over. An anti-calcium system prevents impurities for clean steam, and a self-clean system flushes out loose mineral deposits for optimal performance. From work shirts to table linen, the Rowenta Focus steam iron gets the job done.



Even with this iron, ironing is not a pure joy. In fact, it's among the top 10 things I'd rather NOT be doing. But, alas we are a civilized society, and it must be done. This little guy makes the job easier and quicker.

The first thing that impressed me even before I received it, was that it's made in Germany, and not China, as most others are. It has a stainless steel faceplate and not a non-stick ones like previous irons I have used. I have owned this iron for nearly a year and have put it through it's paces: ironing everything from thick, lined wool pants and sweaters to thin and delicate silks. My Rowena iron has not been treated kindly (among the abuse: it's been knocked to the basement concrete floor several times) and is still in excellent working order. A distracted user set it on a too-high temperature and left it on a garment way too long, causing it to singe the fabric. The burned fabric rubbed off easily after using the self-cleaning setting. (This setting gets super hot steam to flush out mineral deposits from hard water.) And even in an event like that, I could rest easy knowing that it auto-shuts off after being horizontal for 30 seconds.

It's super convenient to be able to use tap water and not distilled. Let's be honest: there will come a point in your iron's life where you are out of distilled water and desperately needing to press something, you'll fill it with tap. For some irons, that could prove disastrous. You don't have to worry about that with this guy.

Its “burst of steam” setting is perfect for removing wrinkles on hard to press and fragile items. I had a feather and flower hair fascinator that had several misplaced creases and was able to smooth them all out nicely with this setting.

On the highest settings, the iron will go through water quickly, but I don't see that as a problem. You can see and are benefiting from the vast amount of steam it gives off, and since you are using tap water, you don't have to be concerned about budgetary issues. I leave a pitcher of water nearby so I can quickly grab and refill. And while they don't recommend refilling it while the iron is plugged in *shhhhh* I do it, anyway, without any trouble!

If you are a single person and looking to save time don't think twice and buy this with your eyes closed. Don't go for other more expensive Rowenta it leaked for me. This one is the best, gets hot quick and wrinkles are gone in one go. I know it might be a bit expensive, but trust me its a good investment. Note- I don't know how long it lasts look other comments for that. I have used it for 2-3 weeks and am happy with this product
Pros-
- The cord is a long
- The water tank is definitely big for one ironing streak
- Lots of steam holes
- There is a self cleaning to prolong irons life
- The pointed tip is perfect for precision ironing like a pro

My most dreaded chore to tackle in the whole entire world is to fold laundry, and soon after is ironing them. Typically my basket of clean laundry is piled high with 3-4 loads before I can muster enough will power to fold and put them away, what with the added task of ironing about half of the clothes in there. I was using my husband's old blue $10 iron that he was using before we married, and it took at least 20 minutes to iron a dress shirt at an acceptable level, and just barely that. I was under the impression that only professional launderers were able to get a perfect press because they used a heavy iron and a strong blower mechanism that fixed wrinkles, and this was the best one could ever do at home. Boy was I wrong. When I finally decided that the cheapie iron was probably too old (it also left little dry particles on my clothes), I came on amazon looking for an alternative that was similarly priced to the original. Then I found this iron with glowing reviews and thought there must be something to it despite the high price (in comparison to the $10/$15 ones)! It also had a great Black Friday price!

The directions were really easy to follow and the results are amazing! I've never felt so accomplished after ironing a pile of perfectly ironed clothes in only about 15 mins with a free steam facial thrown in! One to two passes on the 'cotton' setting with steam is all you need to remove deep creases and folds, then wait about a half hour till the iron has cooled completely, empty the tank and you're done! The steam flows generously without spurting water droplets on your clothes and it couldn't get any simpler! The cord is a good length and not retractable, but has a swivel motion so that it doesn't get entangled while ironing. The iron itself is a good weight, not too heavy but substantial enough to press clothes properly. Now if only there was something to fold my pesky laundry pile!

Have used Rowenta for years. I iron everything, sheets, undershirts, hankies - just because. Rowenta has never let me down. This has a huge amount of steam vents and irons beautifully. Likely a bit heavier than some, but it feels good in the hand and does a great job of pressing clothes. I would recommend without hesitation and definitely purchase again.

This is my third Rowenta. I don’t love ironing but I dislike it less by using a good Rowenta iron and a sturdy ironing board. I previously had a Rowenta that was spitting rusty water and spitting a lot of white lime particles out, so I decided to retire it and purchase the Everlast Anti-calc iron.
I use plain old tap water as directed (instructions say to fill up with regular tap water - not any scented or distilled water). The first time I used the Everlast Anti-calc, I let it run out of water when I was done, then I used pressed the steam and spray buttons to make sure there was nothing left and I also dumped it out over the sink.
I was so surprised when a half-week later I plugged it in and it immediately started spitting white particles out of the soleplate. I’ve included pictures of the particles on a shirt and stuff on my finger that was in the anti-calc chamber after just one use. Ugh – I shouldn't have white flakes on a shirt I'm ironing on the second appliance use - this is why I got a new iron! So afterward, I re-read the instructions, a bit more closely this time. When you’re done using it, after unplugging and pouring off remaining water like you’re supposed to, flip the steam setting between opened and closed several times to prevent the valve hole into the steam chamber from scaling or backing up. You can also clean out the limestone collector and run the anti-calc features and they will help keep the iron clean.
You can clean out the limescale collector in the base of the iron very easily (When the iron is completely cool, at least an hour after use, just twist the lever a quarter turn and pull down on the chamber and rinse it out). If you live somewhere with very hard water like me, you may need to clean that chamber out all the time. You can also use the Anti-calc function to flush the dirt and scale out of the steam chamber of the iron itself by filling with tap water to max, heating the iron to 3 dots, with the steam feature turned on. Unplug, hold the iron horizontally over a sink, and move the stem lever to the anti-calc position. Water with any particles should start coming out of the iron within a few seconds. After about a minute, move the iron back to the steam position, plug it back in and allow it to heat up until all water is evaporated. Unplug, let it cool down and then wipe the soleplate down.
Once I read the instructions and figured out how to do these additional steps, ironing has been better for me. In addition to regular cleaning, just don't keep water in the iron between uses and your iron will perform better.
I fill the iron up using a small spray bottle with about a nickel sized opening. It works well and I don’t spill water. Others have complained about the water fill level being too hard to see but I don’t have a problem with that.
Overall, I like the size and shape of the iron’s soleplate. It heats up quickly and glides over laundry easily. Its similarly lightweight to the other Rowenta's I have owned and has similar amount of steam features.
What would make this iron better is a separate little piece of paper or some instructions on the box saying how to get rid of the particles instead of the information being buried in hard to read directions in the instruction pamphlet. (Why have features if no one will read about it to use them?)

Get it Now

0 comments:

Post a Comment