Thursday, August 1, 2019

BLACK+DECKER Dustbuster Cordless Vacuum, 16V (CHV1410L)

BLACK+DECKER Dustbuster Cordless Vacuum, 16V (CHV1410L)

BLACK+DECKER Dustbuster Cordless Vacuum, 16V (CHV1410L)

Don't be fooled by his debonair looks. This cat is a litter flinger. It's like his personal feline mission to send litter particles into outer space. Because the ultralight cat litter really flies, I buy the old school heavy kind. This hand vac sucks it all up, too. It's dedicated specifically to litter in my house because using it anywhere else would be gross. So for cat litter, a win.

 I am an organic gardener in a hostile land roamed by plant devouring bugs and pests. The nemesis of every gardener here, organic or not, is the stink bug. Conventional farmers spray their crops half to death fighting this enemy while organic farmers and gardeners get creative. I purchased the Black & Decker CHV1410L 16 volt Lithium Cordless Dust Buster Hand Vac as part of my 2 part stink bug eradication strategy. So far, it works great! Early in the squash season (summer squash and zucchini are the stink bug’s favorite prey) I lift stink bug eggs from the leaves of my plants with duct tape. Inevitably however, stink bug babies emerge from the egg clusters I miss and begin killing my plants. (Rabbits could learn about rapid reproduction from the stink bug.) In defense of my helpless plants this year, I started vacuuming stink bugs from my plants every day and flushing them down the toilet. I pull hundreds of the horrible death creatures from my garden every day thanks to my Dust Buster!

WHAT IS IN THE BOX: One hand held cordless Dust Buster vacuum and charging base. The vacuum operates on a lithium battery which is included.

WHAT I LIKE: The battery on this hand held vacuum lasts longer than I do. I almost always give out before I burn through the battery.

I can suck up lots of stink bugs before I have to empty the vacuum.

Emptying the vacuum chamber is simple. The “quick” empty normally allows me to get rid of all the bugs, but when I have a stubborn batch, I can get at them from the filter side of the chamber as well.

The reusable filter washes up easily under running water.

I love not having to worry about a cord!!! An organic farmer friend told me he uses a shop vac to eradicate his stink bug population, but I don’t have an outlet anywhere near my garden.

I love being able to leave the vacuum on the charger at all times without destroying the battery. I always have full power available.

WHAT I DON’T LIKE: I really wish this vacuum exerted strong enough pressure to kill the bugs as I sucked them into it. I hate dealing with live bugs when cleaning the chamber.

PICTURES: I am including pictures of the vacuum full of stink bugs as well as a shot of stink bugs in the garden.

VIDEO: I am including a video demonstrating how well this hand held vacuum sucks bugs off my plants and even the debris covered ground.

This is a great little vacuum. It does a great job sucking up stink bugs as they cling to leaves and straw and I can only imagine how great it would be at cleaning up stuff that doesn’t resist being sucked into it. Definitely a great purchase!

We bought this to replace a dirt devil that had been weak and almost useless since we purchased it. We lived with the dirt devil for 6 years, unwilling to not get our money's worth. Let me tell you, that was a mistake - this relatively inexpensive replacement is a little powerhouse. It quickly and easily sucks up crumbs, hair, dust, litter and all those other little items that plague our surfaces and makes our space look soooo much nicer. On day I used it to clean all the baseboards, the stairs, the couch and, well, heck, I got carried away and did most of the floors - and it didn't run out of charge until the bitter end. Sits well in its base, too.

I'm really liking this unit so far. I've had it for about 3 weeks and it charges wonderfully and I've only managed to run the battery dead once and that was a big fall cleaning day so LOTS of use on one charge.
It has a lot of power for such a small unit. Pulls up dog hair effortlessly and can pick up large dog food bits without getting stuck. The filter is easy to clean, a push of a button releases the filter compartment. My favorite part of it is the charger! Just simply set the unit on top and it starts charging! My only reservation is that it doesn't pick up as well as I'd like from plush/densely woven rugs.
This was a great purchase for me and I'm very happy with it. It is used pretty much everyday!

Love it. Use it practically every day. Plenty of power and easy to clean. Only weakness is the nozzle extension that doesn't positively snap in place and slides back as you vacuum away, But you learn to live with it. Bought more as they make very appreciated presents. Even thinking about purchasing a second one for myself, before this good model is discontinued...
Word of caution though, the vacuum just RESTS on its charging plate, no snap/latch in place. No good if you want to use it in an RV or boat where it needs to be positively locked to the charger, or if you have pets or toddlers who will easily knock it off the base. And can be finicky to correctly locate on the base for positive charging contact, but at least the strong charging lite gives positive feedback on the unit charging or not.The strong blue charging light makes a great night light by the way!
After 1 1/2 year of steady usage, the lithium battery is still going strong. Much better than the two previous same vacuums I owned with Alcaline batteries that died prematurely and were very difficult to replace.


Get it Now

Feature Product

  • Lithium Ion for long battery life and outstanding performance. Always ready - holds a charge for up to 18 months
  • Long life, Lightweight, and no memory effect.Suction Power-15.2 AW; Dustbowl Capacity: 20.6 oz.
  • Smart Charge Technology uses up to 50% less energy,air Watts: 15.2 Watts, Voltage: 16V MAX
  • Cyclonic action helps to keep the filter clean and power strong, translucent bagless dirt bowl easy to see dirt and empty
  • Rotating slim nozzle for a variety of applications, removable, washable bowl and filters for thorough cleaning
  • 2-Year Limited Warranty. Note: Charging instructions can be seen in Page 4 to 5 and Direction for cleaning filters and canisters can be seen in Page 5 to 7 on Installation Manual available under technical specification

Description

BLACK + DECKER CHV1410L 16 volt Lithium Cordless Dust Buster Hand Vac Ideal for Any Quick Pick Up Ideal for Quick Pick Up The sleek CHV1410L boasts lithium technology, strong suction and fade-free power. With a translucent bag less dirt bowl, the dirt is easy to see and empty. Ever ready, the hand vac can hold a charge for up to 18 months when off the charger, and is lightweight enough to tackle quick pick ups around the home. Smart Charge Technology High efficiency Lithium ion chargers help to protect your BLACK+DECKER hand vac by automatically shutting off when the battery is charged, allowing you to conveniently store your BLACK+DECKER hand vac on the charger while maintaining long run times, year after year. About Black + Decker Since 1910, Black + Decker has been setting the standard for innovation and design of power tools, accessories, outdoor yard care equipment, home cleaning products, automotive and lighting products, hardware and other home improvement products. The inventor of the first portable electric drill with pistol grip and trigger switch, Black + Decker has evolved from a small machine shop in Baltimore, Maryland to a global manufacturing and marketing powerhouse with a broad line of quality products used in and around the home and for commercial applications. When users need to get work done, they trust Black + Decker for the products that will do the job efficiently and reliably 16V MAX Lithium Ion Dust Buster 16V MAX Lithium Ion Dust buster This hand vac provides consumers with everything they need in a hand vac, plus long battery life, year after year. The CHV1410L features great power and suction for use on everything from carpet to ceramic tile to furniture and more. Cyclonic Action Cyclonic Action The cyclonic action spins dust and debris away from the filter keeping suction strong. It delivers powerful suction where users need it most. Crevice Tool and Brush. Note:Charging instructions can be seen in Page 4 to 5 and Direction for cleaning filters and canisters can be seen in Page 5 to 7 on Installation Manual available under technical specification. Charge Duration 4 hours Included Components: (1) CHV1410L hand vacuum, (1) Flip-up brush, (1) Crevice tool, (1) Washable filter; Power Source: Cordless



GREAT PURCHASE!! This lithium powered Black & Decker vac has been a very solid addition to the various other vacs we own (6 different). It has become the first thing I reach for to vacuum 5+8 year old messes. It seems that it is ALWAYS charged and always provides great suction. Bought it to clean the kitty litter that always ends up on the floor around the litter box. But at this point I use it to clean the kitchen floor under and around the table after the kids eat because it is so efficient and much easier to get than pulling out the large vac. Have owned MULTIPLE hand vacs and also own a cordless hand/stick vac. NOTHING has worked as well as this. Just MAKE SURE that you purchase THIS model with the LITHIUM battery. Black and Decker makes a model that looks exactly the same and is much cheaper BUT doesn't have the Lithium battery - And the reviews for it are horrible. I buy lots of things I get buyers remorse after - this is definitely NOT one of them.
UPDATE: 03/23/2018:
Look, if you are thinking about getting this....STOP WAITING AND JUST GET IT. I purchased this almost 2 1/2 years ago and STILL have had NO issues. And it is still going strong. Battery is still holding a charge. Filters that came with it are reusable and are STILL in the vacuum. Just make sure you get THIS model. Other black n decker models LIKE this are NOT THIS ONE....meaning they have some issues. But I use this all the time...every day from things like cleaning up kitchen table and underneath from my boys after they eat to cleaning up sawdust from woodworking projects to cleaning up kitty litter. IT DOES IT ALL! I don't know how everyone hasn't already bought this for their house....to me it is a MUST!. And if someone bought this and had an issue......that is NOT the norm! 2/3 rds of all 14000+ purchasers give it 5 stars. Its that good!

Here's the thing about this vac...when it can reach the dirt, it sucks up the dirt no problem. But the nozzle is fairly wide so don't plan on getting into tight spaces with it. While the nozzle can be turned left and right to get into corners and odd spaces, the nozzle itself is still pretty huge. I really wish it shipped with a crevice tool.

Now, let's talk about the good stuff. The unit charges fast. It has a good amount of suction. The nozzle has a brush attachment that helps when picking up spills on a carpet. The vac is really easy to empty - push a button and you get access to the dirt tray. The unit is also easy to clean and maintain. It has washable filters. You hit them with some soap and water then let the dry. Easy maintenance.

It's also lighter than I expected.

The charger was new to me. It's an almost flat piece of plastic with charger bits inside. Sorta looks like a wireless charger for mobile phones. It sorta holds the vac upright but it can be tipped over rather easily.

Overall, I'm happy but am looking to add crevice attachment.

Overall, this is a great cordless vacuum. We use it primarily to clean up after our 1-year-old and it has earned its keep cleaning crumbs and whatnot from the floor, couch, car seat, and stroller. It has a respectable amount of power given its size and cordless nature. It's great for cleaning up small messes here and there, but doesn't really have the battery life to clean a large area. It will run continuously for about 15-20 minutes on a charge and then it takes an hour or two to recharge completely. It is very loud to operate and the charging cradle is a little awkward. It just kind of sits on top of a round cradle to charge. Although there is a flashing blue light to indicate that it's charging, there's not really any positive feedback or click when you sit it on the cradle. The vacuum stands upright on the charger (about 18 inches tall) and is pretty easy to knock over or push off the charger. The mechanism to empty the vacuum is workable, but could probably be better designed. Bottom line, it has a few quirks and limitations, but I would definitely recommend it if you're in need of a good cordless vacuum for cleaning up small messes around the house.

UPDATE: It is now 2019(!), and I have been using this vacuum for 6 years now. It still functions, and I am still using the original filter. Nothing has changed from my original review, there are still things I would like to change about this product (specifically the way the top locks - or doesn't lock - into place consistently) but the fact that I have gotten 6 years of use out of a handheld vacuum is unprecedented so far for me so I am happy to overlook that flaw.

No broken parts, battery still holds a decent charge (I get about 20 minutes of uninterrupted vacuuming out of it at this point, which is more than enough for small cleanups), and the vacuum basically functions as it did when I purchased it.
This appears to be a solid product with a reasonable price point and proven durability, so it still gets 5 stars from me.
______________________________________
Original review below:
______________________________________
After several negative experiences with other vacuums, I wanted to wait to do a long-term review of this product because, for me, how a vacuum cleaner holds up to prolonged use is more important than my first impressions. I have now been using this vacuum for 2 years, so I feel pretty confident in giving this product 5 stars (i.e. I love it, with a few minor nitpicks).

Why I bought this vacuum: I wanted something to quickly pick up small amounts of debris without having to haul out the much heavier and more cumbersome upright vacuum. I keep it plugged into its dock in the main living area, so I can quickly grab it whenever needed.

Things I love: After buying this vacuum, I got golden retriever puppy, so it's safe to say that about 90% of what I'm vacuuming up nowadays has some amount of dog hair in it. Even though I didn't buy this for handling pet hair, this vacuum handles it flawlessly. In fact, I frequently use it to grab up the stray tumbleweeds of dog hair that often migrate into the various corners of the house (pet people you've probably dealt with this before). You'll need something much more powerful to get the pet hair out of carpets and furniture, but for hardwood floors, tile and other hard surfaces, it works great.

For those who don't have pets, there's still plenty of uses for this thing. I use it to grab stray crumbs on the kitchen floor in between deep cleanings. It's great at picking up small leaves and dirt that get tracked in near the doorways. During the Christmas season, this vacuum is my go-to for picking up the Christmas tree needles which inevitably end up scattered everywhere (much like the dog hair!)

So, in summary, I'd say that the vacuum is absolutely great for cleaning small to moderate amounts of debris off of pretty much any type of hard surface. I wouldn't recommend using it to clean pet hair or debris out of carpets or upholstery, although it can do so, provided it's not embedded very deeply.

Cleaning: The vacuum is bagless and can be disassembled into 5 pieces for cleaning which you can see in the photo. It's a pretty straightforward process since most of the pieces are plastic. There's a cloth filter which can also be cleaned or replaced, as needed. The filter pops out and can be emptied into a trash bin, the full disassembly is only required if you want to clean all the parts (I tend to do this after 2-3 times of just emptying the cartridge). After cleaning, I like to put a couple of drops of essential oils (peppermint, etc) on the filter, which gives the room a nice smell while vacuuming. So far the filter and all internal parts have held up well with only cosmetic damage from scuffs, etc.

Cons: There's not much to mention here, but a couple small things worth noting:

1. The top of the vacuum cleaner is one solid piece that has to be clipped into the rest of the body of the vacuum. It can sometimes seem like it is locked in but, if you do not do this correctly, the end will fall off during vacuuming. This can be annoying, as you have to stop and re-attach it again. I'd recommend future models include a better locking mechanism, or at least something that holds together a bit better.

2. Battery life is good; however after 2 years of moderate to heavy use, I get about 10 minutes of solid vacuuming before the battery dies out. I'd say this represents an overall degradation of about 50%, given that, when new, the vacuum could handle about 20 minutes before needing a recharge. This is, of course, a rough estimation, and I haven't compared performance to other vacuum models, just something to be aware of. It doesn't bother me much given that I only use it for small amounts of debris and not for vacuuming the entire house at once.

Who would I recommend this for?

-Anyone who has hard floors or surfaces they want to clean, without the hassle of a full-size vacuum.
-Dorm use
-Studio apartments
-People with pets who want a quick way to get hair out of their (non-carpeted) surfaces

This vacuum is EVERYTHING! The suction is incredibly powerful for a little cordless handheld vacuum. I've owned many in the past and can say that this alleviates many of the problems that give cordless vacuums a bad rep. For one thing it holds its charge for longer and maintains its suction power until the very end rather than fizzling out after a few minutes like the cheaper ones. It also has a more useful thin extendable nozzle for reaching into small crevices, an ideal feature when you're trying to clean your car interior. I also like that the brush is permanently attached to the nozzle (you can just swing it back if you don't want to use it). I often lose attachments so it's useful for me.

Apart from that, I found the filter and canister extremely easy to clean. This little vacuum does the job when it comes to cleaning up messes confined to small areas, cleaning under sofa cushions, car seats, per hair, cat litter, and crumbs toddlers are always dropping everywhere. Lots of times you don't need/want to whip out the heavy duty vacuum and deal with winding and unwinding long cords. This works like a charm.

I'd say spend the extra money and buy this over the $20-$30 range cordless vac's if you find yourself reaching for or wishing you had one often. It is definitely worth it for its far superior performance.

Get it Now

0 comments:

Post a Comment